How do I find Surface Mount equivalent to Through hole Components

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Is there a way of finding the equivalent components from Through hole type to Surface Mount
Check the datasheet of the component you have. Most components are offered in more than one package size. DIP is the through-hole usually, and there are various sizes/formats for surface mount. (e.g. SOIC, QFN, TQFP, ...). Package options are usually listed on the front page and the last pages.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Is there a way of finding the equivalent components from Through hole type to Surface Mount
If what you're trying to do is avoiding the hardship of soldering an SMT component by hand (although there are good techniques to accomplish this) then the previous three posts have already given you the answer. You may, however, find it interesting to know that there are sockets that adapt SMT chips to through hole (such as DIP and PDIP), depending on the type of packaging of the original device.

RodneyB

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Thank you everyone for your advice and help. It is greatly appreciated. Here in Zimbabwe the electronic industry is non existent so without the help of everyone here I would never have been able to learn as much as I have. Thank You!