How do I design this circuit using less ICs

ilkerhlm

Joined Apr 28, 2018
There is 4 bit input A,B,C,D inputs.As output we have 7 segment display.When only A is 1 will display 6 , when B 0 , when C 3 and when D 8.
When 2 or more inputs are 1 will display H.

How do I design this circuit using less ICs, and using only Logic Gates/Multiplexer/Demultiplexer/Coder/Decoder/7-Segment driver IC?

ilkerhlm

Joined Apr 28, 2018
Thanks for your comments.Sorry for bad description about problem. I must design the circuit of problem described above. I can be done using
only logic gates ic's and using 8 of them. I'm looking for an another approach , if it can be done using 8< ic. Here's outputs:

Last edited:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Thanks for your comments.Sorry for bad description about problem. I must design the circuit of problem described above.
Is this homework? Show the rest of your work.
I can be done using only logic gates ic's and using 8 of them. I'm looking for an another approach , if it can be done using 8< ic.
I have more questions, but can't ask them until you answer my first question.

ilkerhlm

Joined Apr 28, 2018
Is this homework? Show the rest of your work.
I have more questions, but can't ask them until you answer my first question.
Thanks for your answer and yes its a homework. I've put "x" to the outputs when all inputs are "0" and total ic used is reduced to 5.
But when all inputs are "0" a,c and d led's are blinking.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Thanks for your answer and yes its a homework.
Thanks. We're supposed to give guidance for homework vs just giving answers.
I've put "x" to the outputs when all inputs are "0" and total ic used is reduced to 5. But when all inputs are "0" a,c and d led's are blinking.
Show your work for the equations for segments a, c, and d. Post your schematic.

If you care what a, c, and d are when all inputs are LOW, you shouldn't use that row as don't care.

I see that you've put a tail on the 6, but you don't show the logic simplification that would give.

Last edited:

ilkerhlm

Joined Apr 28, 2018
I think the states of a, c and d its not necessary since our teacher not referred to it. I will apply it on pcb. Here is the circuit:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I think the states of a, c and d its not necessary since our teacher not referred to it.
That might be a poor assumption. Some teachers might omit important information to see if students are paying attention.
Here is the circuit:
Your image didn't show up until I quoted it...

Here's an edited version:
upload_2018-4-29_9-57-34.png

Haven't checked the wiring/logic yet.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Post your Kmaps for segments 'a' and 'd'.

How can segment 'c' blink? You have it connected to the power supply. Which counts cause 'a' and 'd' to blink?

ilkerhlm

Joined Apr 28, 2018
Post your Kmaps for segments 'a' and 'd'.

How can segment 'c' blink? You have it connected to the power supply. Which counts cause 'a' and 'd' to blink?
I reduced the ic number to 5 without blinking a,c and d when all inputsa re "0". It's enough for me . I think the problem is solved. Thanks for your help and sorry for wasting your time. :rolleyes: