how can i replace transformer

slackguy

Joined Feb 11, 2016
I have a smoked multi-tap transformer. Manufacturer no longer makes it and never published what each tap on it was for. I often face the "many unkown taps" issue. This one has 8 taps one side, 2 or 3 on other?

Anyone see a website or know a (with dmm) method for guessing this medusa so that replacing it is remotely possible?

i just got a quote on it, "tony" wants $800 new. thing used to be $20 new. i'd rather solder and or rewind the one i have than listen to "tony aircraft parts guy"

"T240 - 120-1230-00"

thanks for checking the post

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Agree taking apart maybe the last resort to find the winding details, apart from the gauge of each respective windings, if you can establish the turns/volt of a known winding, it will apply to all.
A general rule is 2 to 3 t/volt.
Max.

slackguy

Joined Feb 11, 2016
yea if i was lucky a wire would be solderable wire burned inside to (jump/solder) - which could have shorted before smoking the xfrm. but it smoked - i'll be lucky to see the windings :)

i figured it was 20:1 from 200v to 3,400. i tried making a demo xfrm and quickly learned the n1:n2 lesson in my phy book is only good for melting electronics (home-made were not going to work even if on a proper iron core, there's more to it than that still), that childrens electronics books would be wiser followed than the college phy book formulas.

slackguy

Joined Feb 11, 2016
i may trash/ give away the crt the xfrm is for for an cheap LCD

unsure if spending (weeks) getting a good (but limited life) crt to work is worth any time or money beyon buying an inexpensive xfrm (of a different kind) online. hate to throw away works like new and only needs a xfrm, but will have to see what is avail, also hate to plug in an xfrm and have it smoke only to find a new issue.

again thanks much

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
I have a smoked multi-tap transformer. Manufacturer no longer makes it and never published what each tap on it was for. I often face the "many unkown taps" issue. This one has 8 taps one side, 2 or 3 on other?

Anyone see a website or know a (with dmm) method for guessing this medusa so that replacing it is remotely possible?

i just got a quote on it, "tony" wants $800 new. thing used to be $20 new. i'd rather solder and or rewind the one i have than listen to "tony aircraft parts guy"

"T240 - 120-1230-00"

thanks for checking the post
That sounds to me like you will never see tony or your money again.
Give it last rights and bury it.