How can I delay the voltage up and down in this circuit?

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
That supply is an adjustable constant-voltage DC supply, with rudimentary current-limiting. The intrinsic current limiting is set too high to accelerate the motor smoothly. Making the 0.33Ω larger in steps of 2X would help that. There is nothing in this circuit to control the braking of the motor.

To do this right would require implementing a ramp-up, ramp-down using PWM, which would likely be done most easily using an Arduino.

rigerman

Joined Apr 25, 2014
That supply is an adjustable constant-voltage DC supply, with rudimentary current-limiting. The intrinsic current limiting is set too high to accelerate the motor smoothly. Making the 0.33Ω larger in steps of 2X would help that. There is nothing in this circuit to control the braking of the motor.

To do this right would require implementing a ramp-up, ramp-down using PWM, which would likely be done most easily using an Arduino.
But the voltage varies from 0 to 12V when the pot is adjusted.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I have used a LM317 in a simple ramp up circuit, should be possible to modify to ramp down also.
Probabally less components.
Max.

rigerman

Joined Apr 25, 2014
I am not much of an electronics person. So, I don't know what "Making the 0.33Ω larger in steps of 2X would help that" means.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Double 0.33Ω t0 0.68Ω (2X) and see how fast the motor accelerates. If still too fast, double it again to 1.2Ω and try again..., and so on...