How can I bypass my consumer dehumidifier high limit thermal cut out?

Mikeysp

Joined May 11, 2016
Hi. I would appreciate it if anyone could help me identify how to bypass my 104F operating limit on my dehumidifier.

Apparently ( I was told by a friend) consumer electronics such as my dehumidifier come with a 40C or 104F high limit thermal cut out. How can I bypass this so I can operate it in a warmer environment?

I am using it in a thermal box to dry lumber and I want to raise the temp to 125F-145F to release the humidity faster.

Thank you for your help.

-Mike

Last edited:

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
You could install a higher temp thermal switch or just bypass it with a jumper wire. Don't know what effect the higher temp environment will have on the dehumidifier.
SG

Mikeysp

Joined May 11, 2016
SG, thank you for your response. How do I find this thermal shutoff? Once I eliminate it, I will do some testing in a small test box to see if all goes well.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The thermal limit is there for a reason.
I would expect there is a good chance of burning out the motor if operated continuously above that limit. :eek:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
May be wrong on this but thought that temp sensor was to prevent high pressure in the refrigerant lines not to protect the motor. I know a couple of guys that mill their own lumber, and they use fans to get the mosirue out faster, this is on both solar and gas fired driers. the fans remove the moisture from the kiln not blowing on the wood.

Mikeysp

Joined May 11, 2016
My max temp will be 120F. I imagine with the safety margin I will be ok. I will bring the wood to 140F for a couple hours at end of drying in order to kill any insect eggs in the wood; but, the dehumidifier will be turned off at that point. I am going to take the risk. Just trying to figure out how to bypass. I will may a small door to block the dehumidifier from the chamber when I raise the temp to 140F, so gas expansion does not prove burst problem.