How can I be sure if a component can be used in a breadboard?

Lasonata

Joined Jun 18, 2019
Hi there,

I'm trying to test a circuit design -that was made in a PCB- on a breadboard.

Some components, like inductors and resistors, have flexible legs and can be used in a breadboard.
Others, however, don't, at least apparently, like this capacitor.

When search for it in mouser, its is the same for all results.

What do you do in this cases?

Thanks a lot.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
It can be used on a vector-board type breadboard.
You should not be using a plug-in type breadboard for that.

One way to use surface mount devices for breadboarding is to solder small (e.g. 30AWG wire-wrap) wire to the terminals
You can use a small vise, alligator clip, or surgical-type forceps to hold the device when doing the soldering.
Use a small soldering tip with only a small amount of solder for this.

Rich2

Joined Mar 3, 2014
I bought a breadboard a few years ago to try it seeing as everybody seems to use them, used it once and I really don't like it. I've always used vero strip board for all my projects. Just leave long leads if testing :)

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Breadboards can be problematic. The sockets stretch from plugging in big diameter leads making things like 1/4W resistor leads not make good contact. Some things just don't fit into the standard .1" spacing matrix. As crutschow says solder wire onto pins if needed but be sure they fit the breadboard sockets snuggly. I have also made modules for DIP socket devices with connected header sockets to be used as an adjucnt to the breadboard. Be inventive and have fun doing it. Necessity is the mother of invention.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Hadn't thought of that. Neat trick! I do have some DIP adaptor boards but really like the SIP. There are some pins that will make a perfboard into a SIP but they are about ten cents each so not so cheap. This would also work well using right-angle pins and perfboard.