household cartridge fuses

MIKEMCD77

Joined Apr 21, 2020
My clothes dryer keeps blowing fuses, especially when I run the dryer on medium or high. The problem MIGHT be that I've been using old fuses. However, here is my question: In my fuse-box, there is a set of two 30-amp cartridge fuses dedicated for the clothes dryer. I have been using NON time-delay fuses. Might there be some benefit in my trying time-delay fuses? The time-delay fuses cost considerably more, but the package says they are "Heavy Duty Fuses," whereas the NON time-delay ones says "General Purpose Fuses." (Both are the same amp, and both say "250 Vac") I don't want to take a chance on burning my house down!
By the way, I always keep the lint-filter clean on the dryer, and I recently cleaned out the outdoor exhaust pipe.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
It might be an idea to monitor the current if you can obtain the use of a clamp on meter.
Typically breakers are used now and have a certain time lag to them.
Max.

Anytime a conventional motor starts, there is a surge of current, so time delay fuses are usually used. Fuses provide "short-circuit" protection, so they adequately fuse the wiring. The wire size used is dependent on a few factors. If we ignore motor loads, distance and whether or not the load is deamed "a continuous load". Wire size is loosely based on a <3% voltage drop and the circuit must be rated for <80% of the fused rating.

A time-delay fuse is appropriate for a motor load. The fuse likely blows on start-up, right?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
With a dryer, you have the motor and the heating element, but normally 30amps is a fairly high load.
But they are most likely fast blow fuses.
Max.