Hostel Renovation

Pepomx

Joined Aug 9, 2015
Electrically I see you using up to 20 12,000 BTU units which each would draw about 6 - 8 amps on 230 volt power giving a total power draw for AC of around 120 - 160 amps. Around here that would run off of a normal 200 amp service without problems so I don't see the reason for needing 6 services for a single building of your size unless you have some odd regulation that does not allow you to have normal modern sized electrical services.

If it was me I would be putting the bigger AC units in the larger rooms and smaller ones in the littler rooms and running the whole place from a new single point centrally located 400 amp service. Wiring wise 14 ga would be good for 15 amps and 12 ga would be good for 20 amps circuits.

Consult your local codes for details.

thanks,

the reason for more than one service is because here in mexico residential has 3 price tiers and with 16 A/C's I would be hitting the max rate on every bill and would be forced into a commercial rate after a while, which is very expensive. If I ran the 20 amp with 12 ga for 150 feet it would run too hot right? Would it need to be 10 ga?

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Given the relatively stable room temperatures you have now I would be temped to buy a 6000 BTU unit and see how well it does.

Us northerners don't mind the heat so much its the humidity that drives us nuts fast. 80 F and dry in a room is quite tolerable for most of us.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
thanks,

the reason for more than one service is because here in mexico residential has 3 price tiers and with 16 A/C's I would be hitting the max rate on every bill and would be forced into a commercial rate after a while, which is very expensive. If I ran the 20 amp with 12 ga for 150 feet it would run too hot right? Would it need to be 10 ga?
Pepo, regarding air conditioning, 220 VAC is always better than 110 VAC in terms of efficiency. Whatever capacity you choose for your AC (in terms of BTU) try by all means to buy a 220 VAC unit, and NOT a 110 VAC one

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Joe,

First of all, congratulations. The property is adorable. It would be a damn shame to hack through the walls to install conventional hotel air conditioners. A damn shame. It would be equally hideous to have any window units, like many of the older hotels in your area have. I like the idea of 7500 BTU mini splits, especially in the smaller rooms. They'll be quieter and efficient. From your description, it seems they will have enough cooling. That's just my opinion though, and I have no particular credentials, other than having lived in some of the hottest places in the US. What are those barrel-looking things on the roof? I was thinking they might be for cooling, not sure. Have you considered evaporative cooling? That usually works pretty good in dry climates like yours.

Good luck with that project. Hope it's a rousing success.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
are those barrel-looking things on the roof?
They're most probably water tanks. We call them tinacos. Most regions in southern Mexico have a serious water distribution problem. So they're there for the times in which city-provided water is not readily available.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Well then evaporative cooling is out. I didn't really like the idea anyway.
Evaporative cooling is a viable option on dry climates. On wet climates it might actually do more harm than good... and trust me, Yucatan is a very humid state. BTW, Yucatan is also the name of the entire region, which is home to several mexican states... that region is the Yucatan peninsula.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Off-Topic 7