hooking up multiple pieltier modules

juggalokyle37

Joined Oct 5, 2017
hi everyone I have a project I'm working on and I was wondering how big of a power supply I would need to power (5) tec1-12706 pieltier units they are rated as 12v 5a and I want to hook them up in parallel so do I add up the amps or do I just need a 12v 5a power supply?

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
hi everyone I have a project I'm working on and I was wondering how big of a power supply I would need to power (5) tec1-12706 pieltier units they are rated as 12v 5a and I want to hook them up in parallel so do I add up the amps or do I just need a 12v 5a power supply?
You need 12V at 25A (parallel) or 60V at 5A (series). 300W in either case.

You need 12V at 25A (parallel) or 60V at 5A (series). 300W in either case.
@joeyd999 What were you smoking tonight?

12 v; 5A isn;t right either.

In series the voltage doubles; e.g. 24 V and 5 A
In parallel, the currents add and the voltages stay the same; e.g. 10 A and 24 V

The datasheet is here. it's all going to depend on delta T. I would advise a controller although it depends on the project.

The voltages and currents are not a a hard fast 5 A and 12 V. The current rating of the power supply has to be higher than the max,
use the graphs and use delta T to predict the current and voltage.

http://peltiermodules.com/peltier.datasheet/TEC1-12706.pdf

juggalokyle37

Joined Oct 5, 2017
@joeyd999 What were you smoking tonight?

12 v; 5A isn;t right either.

In series the voltage doubles; e.g. 24 V and 5 A
In parallel, the currents add and the voltages stay the same; e.g. 10 A and 24 V

The datasheet is here. it's all going to depend on delta T. I would advise a controller although it depends on the project.

The voltages and currents are not a a hard fast 5 A and 12 V. The current rating of the power supply has to be higher than the max,
use the graphs and use delta T to predict the current and voltage.

http://peltiermodules.com/peltier.datasheet/TEC1-12706.pdf
ok well I'm connecting in parallel so it would be like a 12v+ and up to 30a max adjustable power supply?

@joeyd999

The Five (5) was hiding inside the ( ). My bad. I probably would have used "five tec1-12706", but that's just me. I have a vertical astigmatism too, so I missed it. Sorry 'bout that.

I wonder is some sort of series resistance (small, e.g. 0.1 ohm resistor) should be added to help the sharing out like you do with transistors? it's not likely that all of the modules would be identical or matched. They wonl't share current equally.

What do you think?

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
@joeyd999

The Five (5) was hiding inside the ( ). My bad. I probably would have used "five tec1-12706", but that's just me. I have a vertical astigmatism too, so I missed it. Sorry 'bout that.

I wonder is some sort of series resistance (small, e.g. 0.1 ohm resistor) should be added to help the sharing out like you do with transistors? it's not likely that all of the modules would be identical or matched. They wonl't share current equally.

What do you think?
I think it's a waste of power. Looking at the graphs in the datasheet, the VI curves are sloppy enough to absorb any differences.

There will likely be a variation in delta T and Q, but there's nothing he can do about that without individual control of the elements.

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
What You shall do with the five. It is very un-usual practice. I want to warn NOT to stick them one over another - that will be for 1001% dead result. But is really You shall apply it parallel - then why to not buy the correct size. There are plenty of 300W in one piece available in the markets.