Hiring Embedded Beagleboard Programmer

PeerlessCreations

Joined Dec 30, 2010
Hello everyone,
I am looking to hire someone for my company to develop a program for the BeagleBoard -xM. Something similar to a dvr where a video input is captured and recorded, while also being displayed on a screen. This program must also replay the recorded video.
If you are interested or know somewhere I can find an interest on taking on this adventure. Please email me at <SNIP>
Thanks
Ward Glowinski

Last edited by a moderator:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The BeagleBoard is a low cost ARM Cotex processor with what looks like a typical halo of peripheral devices. I can do this stuff in my sleep with one hand tied behind my back using knives and stone axes for tools. I'd be curious to know what your budget for such a person would be and where you are located.

PeerlessCreations

Joined Dec 30, 2010
Need it to act like one.
Located in NJ

Moderators note: Placing emails out in public is a good way to attract spam. Use the forum PM feature instead.

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I checked your website and it seems as though you deal in CAD Tools and mechanical parts of various descriptions. The first thing you will need is a requirements document. This should be in the neighborhood of 1 to 3 pages which will drive the development of a functional specification that may go from 30-50 pages more or less.

These two documents are necessary first steps, otherwise potential contractors will have no idea what they are bidding on and you will have no way to measure what "done" means. This advice is free based on 40+ years of experience doing this kind of thing.

's my gift to you.

I have Flash blocker, your site uses Flash buttons and makes noise, many buttons don't do anything. Umm...

Does the BeagleBoard have the connectivity and horsepower to work with video feeds?

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
BeagleBoard can run Linux there are program made to do what you want with out coding your own. GStreamer

container formats: asf, avi, 3gp/mp4/mov, flv, mpeg-ps/ts, mkv, mxf, ogg
streaming: http, mms, rtsp
codecs: FFmpeg, various codec libraries, 3rd party codec packs
metadata: native container formats with a common mapping between them
video: various colorspaces, support for progressive and interlaced video
audio: integer and float audio in various bit depths and multichannel configurations
It has the horse power to do what the OP wants 1ghz arm should be smoking fast

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
We won't really know until the requirements are defined, but it seems highly likely that POTS will be the appropriate answer if it meets those requirements.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Papabravo, did you ever get a spec from the OP?
Hi Bill,

Nothing so far by email or PM. The other end of this conversation has just gone silent which, from experience, is the expected outcome of these kinds of queries on this and other forums. I've answered numerous requests like this one and they always seem to be infant mortals precisely because the requesters often have no idea of how to define their requirements, how long a product development will take, and most importantly how much it will cost. The other almost universal problem is they expect you to do it all for next to nothing.

I would be interested to know if anybody has successfully gotten paid for doing any kind of serious development from a cold contact on this or any other forum. We could offer a prize for the best "tale of success".