Hilarious video on YouTube

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
The Citroen 2CV is a riot to drive ;) Friend of mine bought one; it arrived in a moving van. Had fun getting it downloaded from inside the big box, but being very lightweight with agile footing, it was much easier to accomplish than just about any other vehicle that I could think of, except perhaps an original M48 Jeep or perhaps a Crosley!

While some will just out-and-out declare the 2cv a piece of camel dung, it actually was a pretty decent vehicle for it's intended audience; French farmers of the post-WWII period, who had very rough country roads to travel, who needed a reliable and economical way to get around. It was quite versatile; you could remove the featherweight rear seat in seconds; the roof was some kind of reinforced rubber/plastic that unsnapped, rolled back and tied at the rear in case you wanted to "go topless", or had tall objects to get somewhere.

The engine was a horizontally-opposed twin cylinder arrangement, I think it was around 650cc's. Everything about the car was lightweight. The tires were so small, they seemed suited for a small wheelbarrow. In a contest on AOL, it was judged the 2nd ugliest vehicle in history (first place being the Pontiac Aztek - yeesh, is that thing ugly!)

Driving one took some getting used to - it even took a while to figure out how to shift the thing. There's a knob coming out of the dash - you pull it, twist it, and shove it back in to change gears!

The suspension was something else - it felt like you were floating on a cloud. There was no provision for anti-sway, so coming to a stop in the middle of a quick turn proved interesting - the car stayed leaning in whatever direction it was, until the brakes were released, when it would pop back upright! Most of the time driving around in it was spent with big goofy grins on our faces. :D

My friend's 2cv started out looking just like the one in the attached photo; a portion of the AOL screen when I logged on a couple weeks ago ;)

Later, he had it re-painted it in a cream and black motif - rather spoiled the fun of having a "clown car". It's now in a car musem in Sarasota, FL.

Attachments

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
While some will just out-and-out declare the 2cv a piece of camel dung, it actually was a pretty decent vehicle for it's intended audience; French farmers of the post-WWII period, who had very rough country roads to travel, who needed a reliable and economical way to get around.
I never knew that. Its almost as if the Dolly was the French answer to the Beetle.

It was quite versatile; you could remove the featherweight rear seat in seconds; the roof was some kind of reinforced rubber/plastic that unsnapped, rolled back and tied at the rear in case you wanted to "go topless", or had tall objects to get somewhere.
I remember that "feature" :D The most useless soft-top IIRC! Sadly, where I grew up, I remember seeing all the Dolly-tops (as we called them) slashed by the local junkies. Thankfully we see that less and less these days.

Dave

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I'll add the most watched and favourited video on youtube: Evolution of Dance.

Over 75 million views

Favourited over 375,000 times

Rated over 250,000 times

And over 114,000 comments

Amazing stats. Not really sure how funny it is either!

Dave

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007

While some will just out-and-out declare the 2cv a piece of camel dung, it actually was a pretty decent vehicle for it's intended audience; French farmers of the post-WWII period, who had very rough country roads to travel, who needed a reliable and economical way to get around. It was quite versatile; you could remove the featherweight rear seat in seconds; the roof was some kind of reinforced rubber/plastic that unsnapped, rolled back and tied at the rear in case you wanted to "go topless", or had tall objects to get somewhere.

Indeed. The Citroen 2CV was even good to drive over plowed fields (with care).

Now, my favourite car for quick turns is the Fiat 600.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
For the most completely lame car ever, look up the Crosley Hot Shot. My friend down the street actually got one for his first car (sort of). I remember lots of Fiat 600D's and Peugeot 404's in the 1960's. And a few deux-chevaux.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
For the most completely lame car ever, look up the Crosley Hot Shot. My friend down the street actually got one for his first car (sort of). I remember lots of Fiat 600D's and Peugeot 404's in the 1960's. And a few deux-chevaux.
Crosley Hot Shot - a soft-top delight.

Talking of soft-tops, do we remember the Austin Healy?

Dave

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Of course - right up there with Kaiser and mini-Minors. Actually the Healy 3000 was a pretty dependable sports car and would just run away from an MG-TD or TF. How about the Lotus Super 7, or any Alfa-Romeo?