Hii!! need to interface 4 A/D converters to 89c51 and then to Pc

usmankhanakbar3404

Joined Apr 10, 2007
HII!!

I am doing my final year project at NUST and need to interface A/D converters to the Pc with the help of Microcontroller if some body could help!!
What I need is schematics and code!!

If some one could guide me which microcontroller I need to select if the input signal is 6 MHz , Any Microcontroller with inbuilt A/D converters!!

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
If some one could guide me which microcontroller I need to select if the input signal is 6 MHz , Any Microcontroller with inbuilt A/D converters!!
Microchip provide a selection of 8-bit microcontrollers (http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=74) that would be suitable for your needs, most with in-built ADCs. Look at the PIC 16xxx series (http://www.microchip.com/ParamChartSearch/chart.aspx?branchID=1002&mid=10&lang=en&pageId=74) and 18xxx series (http://www.microchip.com/ParamChartSearch/chart.aspx?branchID=1004&mid=10&lang=en&pageId=74) for your best options.

I must also warn you that if you are expecting someone to give you schematics and code you will be sadly disappointed.

Dave

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
4 channels of 6MHz analogue input signals with built-in ADC? Isn't that too far outside of standard micro capability?
In answer to your question: yes it probably is. This is a final year project and I would suspect that this issue would have been taken care of at the specification stage. The OP can confirm this.

Dave

kender

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I think, it's safe to say that a chip classified as microcontroller (uC) can not sample an analog signal with 6MHz bandwidth, let alone four (4) of them. That's just too much data for a uC. A digital signal processor (DSP) might be able to do it.

Please describe the signal structire, where it comes from and the rest of your whole application. May be your problem can be solved/helped with analog techniques.

This is a final year project and I would suspect that this issue would have been taken care of at the specification stage.
Whose idea to sample 4x 6MHz through a microcontroller was it?

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Whose idea to sample 4x 6MHz through a microcontroller was it?
The lecturer possibly, either that or the student was asked to go a research what hardware would be suitable and came up with the idea of a microcontroller.

Thinking retrospectively, my initial suggestion of a PIC 16xxx or 18xxx series uC was a lame idea, and I concur with kenders recommendation that this is probably in the realms of a dedicated DSP; Freescale do a pretty good range at a competative cost, but you must also look at you memory requirements, and many of the well priced DSP don't have a dedicated codecs (ADC/DAC) in-built (as required by the OP).

Dave