highest frequency for jfet in triode(ohmic) mode

Don8

Joined Jul 22, 2014
I wanted to use a jfet as a voltage controlled resistor. This application needs to be used into the RF spectrum @2.5 GHz. Will it work? I find a lot of information on jfets, and frequency but I can't determine if a small signal @3GHz <50mv can be applied to a jfet without any parasitic capacitive/inductive effects taking over.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
That value of the parasitics depends upon the design of the JFET. At 2.5GHz just about any device has parasitic inductance/capacitance that will affect the circuit response so you will have to take that into account in the circuit design.

Don8

Joined Jul 22, 2014
Do you know of any jfets that are designed to minimize the parasitics? I've been looking, but I haven't seen any mention of time or frequency on a VCR data sheet.

Perhaps, I should get a wide bandwidth jfet and just use that instead?

Don8

Joined Jul 22, 2014
I'd like to just find a VCR that has SOMETHING about frequency or time on it's datasheet, or get a good part number from someone, but if it's down to trial and error I guess I understand.

How about an estimate of success? is it even likely that any jfet will be able to operate in the triode mode at 2.5Ghz. Has such a time ever been done?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Here's some references to microwave FETs. Note that GaAs MESFETs are higher frequency type devices than standard silicon JFETs and are commonly used as microwave amplifiers. Here's one manufacturer of such devices.