High Capacity Chinese Thumb drives

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Has anybody bought the likes of these 512GB flash drives out of china/hong kong? I'm planning to recover all the data from my past 5 laptops (pile of hard drives in my desk drawer) onto bootable media. Cheapest option would be the 3TB USB3.0 hard drive from Best buy, but I like the idea of having each drive on its own thumb drive. Domestic thumb drives at 512GB are few, far between, and prohibitively expensive.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
512GB for $25? IMHO, this is either a typo, or they are stolen, or they are counterfeit (smaller capacity drives labeled as 512GB). I'd stay away....far away.

A good price for flash drives today is around $0.50 to $0.75 per GB, with a premium for capacities 64GB and larger.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I have tried buying two of them and with both the instant my payment cleared the auction and everything about the eBay transaction disappeared without a trace including my money. :mad:

So far in all my years of eBay buying that is the only two times I have been scammed.:mad:

Either stay away or make sure you have all of your info about the transaction copied and stored in case you get taken.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
There are several reasons why I'd stay away, but the big one is (even from the best rated seller) that their main product is ladies' undergarments: Link

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Has anybody bought the likes of these 512GB flash drives out of china/hong kong? I'm planning to recover all the data from my past 5 laptops (pile of hard drives in my desk drawer) onto bootable media. Cheapest option would be the 3TB USB3.0 hard drive from Best buy, but I like the idea of having each drive on its own thumb drive. Domestic thumb drives at 512GB are few, far between, and prohibitively expensive.

160GB was big thing 5 years ago. 3TB drive is what I'm using now, wait and the price and options will come to a reasonable price at the local stores.

After that just put movies and such on 3TB for viewing at home. Right now I have about 50 movies on mine. I plan on going to 250GB SSD memory on my PC to allow VMare to run simultaneously. Both Windows and Mac at the same time. The 3TB is for long term memory. Until the SSD's get cheaper.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
There are several reasons why I'd stay away, but the big one is (even from the best rated seller) that their main product is ladies' undergarments: Link
yeah that looked a little fishy to me too. I just bought a laptop off one of those ladie's garment sellers and all was well. The laptop was in better condition than advertised (she said it didn't have windows, it did). I was a little leary of it, but the price couldn't be beat. I took a chance and it paid off. I'm not going to push my luck again.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
160GB was big thing 5 years ago. 3TB drive is what I'm using now, wait and the price and options will come to a reasonable price at the local stores.

After that just put movies and such on 3TB for viewing at home. Right now I have about 50 movies on mine. I plan on going to 250GB SSD memory on my PC to allow VMare to run simultaneously. Both Windows and Mac at the same time. The 3TB is for long term memory. Until the SSD's get cheaper.
KV, he was referring to flash drives, not full-blown SSDs :p

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I pulled a 500GB IDE drive from an old computer and bought a $6 adapter to connect it to my computer via USB. It acts much like a large flash drive. Only bad thing is that it isn't as portable....

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I'd like to have 5 computers on my keychain. I have software on each that I paid for and would like to be able to use on the fly, without lugging around a boat anchor with separate power supply and cord and all. But I can't afford such luxury. So I will just buy the boat anchor and deal with it for now.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
A 32GB flash drive will hold a lot of data and programs, and costs only about $20. I'm not sure how many programs you want to store, or how big they are, but a 32GB flash drive might be enough.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
A 32GB flash drive will hold a lot of data and programs, and costs only about $20. I'm not sure how many programs you want to store, or how big they are, but a 32GB flash drive might be enough.
Thing is, they're installed programs. Meaning they've got their hooks into the windows that they're installed in. System files like DLLs in weird unknown directories and hidden registry entries, etc. You can't just suck the program out and leave windows behind. I'd have to take all or nothing.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Thing is, they're installed programs. Meaning they've got their hooks into the windows that they're installed in. System files like DLLs in weird unknown directories and hidden registry entries, etc. You can't just suck the program out and leave windows behind. I'd have to take all or nothing.
Strantor, reminds me of the Brick phone hahaha, Sorry.

I don't want to go back to the floppy :p

How about a ZIP way cool? not.

What? GB? What TB? WOW:eek:

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
If you get one, try the tester in this link:
http://www.avforums.com/threads/fake-sd-cards-test-yours-now.1347842/
I've tried it and it seems pretty thorough.
Apparently some SD cards and flash drives even appear to the operating system as if they are the claimed capacity, but if you actually try to fill them up then you find the fakes.
Not much good after you bought it, but if you wanted to buy a few it's worth testing one first.