High capacitance,high voltage electrolytic capacitors

ezekielizuogu@yahoo.com

Joined Apr 13, 2012
Hello members,

My project requires electrolytic capacitors that combine high capacitance with high voltage.I have searched most of the online electonic component sellers in the US,China,India and what i find is that those that have high capacitance come with very low volage ratings while those that have high voltage come down with very low capacitance values.Precisely am looking for elecrtrolytic capacitors of 240,000uF,500V or anything around that range of capacitance and voltage,plus/minus 5000uF.Again,if i can get caps of 20,000uF,500V,i can combine twelve of them to give 240,000uF,or combine caps of 40,000uF or 60,000UF to give 240,000-UF.
It will be appreciated if members can give me links to sources of such caps.

chrisw1990

Joined Oct 22, 2011
dare i ask why you need such values?
there are limits to the capacitance a mains piece of equipment can have, due to the fact that you dont want people to electrocute them selves after unplugging it.. its in one of the basic tests of a product being tested before market release

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010

They do exist, but can you afford one and do you have room for them. It might take several in parallel to reach the high capacitance values you desire.

ezekielizuogu@yahoo.com

Joined Apr 13, 2012
Bertus,No,the caps are not for railgun or any such thing.There are supercapacitors that come in the form of even 5 farads or more.I am sorry for the flag i ignorantly put on the thread.
If i cant find large value caps,i can make do with caps of 15,000uF,being careful of course about the danger of shocks,handling such voltages.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Bertus,No,the caps are not for railgun or any such thing.There are supercapacitors that come in the form of even 5 farads or more.I am sorry for the flag i ignorantly put on the thread.
If i cant find large value caps,i can make do with caps of 15,000uF,being careful of course about the danger of shocks,handling such voltages.
In the professional world there are for instance Thyristor banks for 20 kV. One I saw is actually used as kind of a crowbar. The power level is in the MW range so the connections are made with solid metal bars.

Seriously, 240,000uF/500V? What is the way to charge these?

OP is not saying if AC or DC, and what is the intended purpose.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Hello members,

My project requires electrolytic capacitors that combine high capacitance with high voltage.I have searched most of the online electonic component sellers in the US,China,India and what i find is that those that have high capacitance come with very low volage ratings while those that have high voltage come down with very low capacitance values.Precisely am looking for elecrtrolytic capacitors of 240,000uF,500V or anything around that range of capacitance and voltage,plus/minus 5000uF.Again,if i can get caps of 20,000uF,500V,i can combine twelve of them to give 240,000uF,or combine caps of 40,000uF or 60,000UF to give 240,000-UF.
It will be appreciated if members can give me links to sources of such caps.
1. If you request professional components, learn professional spelling first.

2. Use "I", or "i", but not both together, it's disturbing.

3. Show us your circuit/project.