Hexapod Robot with Wheels

Stevenmn

Joined Nov 12, 2018
Hello guys, i'm planning to build this robot you see in the pic.

upload_2018-11-12_19-30-42.png

it will walks by two modes : 1) Tripode mode like conventional hexapod 2) wheel mode like a car

the issue is, that i have no idea how to block wheels or shaft of motor attached to the wheels, in fact, i dont know which type of motor should i use for this application, i was thinking about stepper motors, but im not sure if small stepper could handle all the weight of the hexapod robot.

Thank you very much for helping me with this.

Steven.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017

View attachment 163683

it will walks by two modes : 1) Tripode mode like conventional hexapod 2) wheel mode like a car

the issue is, that i have no idea how to block wheels or shaft of motor attached to the wheels, in fact, i dont know which type of motor should i use for this application, i was thinking about stepper motors, but im not sure if small stepper could handle all the weight of the hexapod robot.

Thank you very much for helping me with this.

Steven.
Do you have experience with the design, construction and programming of walking robots? The illustration of the robot you show does not have powered wheels. This is a very ambitious project and will require quite complex mechanical and software design. I would suggest that you concentrate on getting it working without the wheels first. Then you can consider whether you really want to add the extra complexity of the wheels, and how you can achieve it.

Last edited:

Stevenmn

Joined Nov 12, 2018
Yes i have done hexapods before ! normal hexapods with servo motors attached to the links. Picture shown is representation only!

But i dont know why no body has even try to answer my question, they focused on other things.

Thanks.
Steven.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008

View attachment 163683
Thank you very much for helping me with this. Steven.
But i dont know why no body has even try to answer my question, they focused on other things.
1) You have not described how a hexagon (or its equilateral triangle) with wheels located on radiuses can drive like a car.
2) All of what weight? What you show seems to be a 3D rendering, not an actual device. What are its proposed dimensions and weights?

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
Yes i have done hexapods before ! normal hexapods with servo motors attached to the links. Picture shown is representation only!

Thanks.
Steven.
We have not tried to answer your question because there is no simple answer. You are asking for someone to design your very complex project for you.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
We have not tried to answer your question because there is no simple answer. You are asking for someone to design your very complex project for you.
So, without basic design goals, how can you expect us to give detailed information about power?

How are you getting power to the wheels? How many will be powered?

Stevenmn

Joined Nov 12, 2018
This is prototype and evaluation phase , so there are somethings that are not defined.

the basic question that i asked, was which type of motor would you recommend me for this application. I have done some research and found similar projects , which uses wheels for an hexapod, the only difference is those projects do not walks by legs and move with wheels at the same time.

i have found out that continous rotation servos could be the answer to my question! i have already build part of the leg, i will build the rest when i get the wheels and continous servo by the end of this week.

Greets.
Steven