Here is why I wouldn't be going to Sochi Olympics

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
I use loo all the time. :p

Also use Lavvy, Khazi, Bog and Privy.

It's like Inuit have 200 words for snow, or something of that ilk. :O

EDIT: I think loo come from medieval times when people would shout "Gardeloo" before they emptied their chamber pots onto the streets below. This was when the upstairs would often overhang into the street, so people would shout out to warn passers-by.

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009

EDIT: I think loo come from medieval times when people would shout "Gardeloo" before they emptied their chamber pots onto the streets below. This was when the upstairs would often overhang into the street, so people would shout out to warn passers-by.

How nice of them. I will bet back in those days not one EVER looked up with their mouth open. :eek:

The next door neighbors to my friend's girlfriend had no indoor plumbing. They would dump their waste out the back window. This was not out in the country. It was the suburbs of Pittsburgh where house were so close together you could shake hands with your neighbor.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I am swearing off jokes about my ancestors. This is the kind of thing that makes an out-house in the Appalachian mountains seem sophisticated!

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
I think it may be another one of the 'reasons' as to why men are supposed to walk on the pavement next to the road, the idea being the woman would be underneath the overhang, whilst the man would be just under the windows, meaning he'd be soaked with bits and pieces. :p

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Nah, I think that was more about being splashed with mud and muck from horses and carriages going past. So the man wore it, not the woman. And to offer some physical protection between her and the dangerous street.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010

Also use Lavvy, Khazi, Bog and Privy.

It's like Inuit have 200 words for snow, or something of that ilk. :O
It seems like words used for toilet are often used to refer to the room where the toilet sits as well. Here's all the ones I can think of:

shitter
crapper
pisser
comfort room (CR)
wash room
bath room
rest room
powder room
toilet
the pool
loo
lavatory
latrine
head
water closet (WC)
john
commode
men's room
ladies' room
little boys' room
little girls' room
pot
potty
can
facilities
the superbowl
the throne
porcelain god

...and that's all I got. Did I miss any?

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
I believe the paper in the bin comes from when they used to use newspapers to wipe their bottoms. You couldn't flush newspaper down the loo so they started putting them in bins. I guess when they started using toilet paper, the habit stuck.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
One of our rules when we go sailing is that we don't flush TP. The rule is if it does not go through you or does not come from the plumbing it does not go into the head. Believe me you do not want have to unclog a marine head.

But at least we provide individual paper bags. TP goes into the paper bag and then into a plastic bags where other used bags were deposited.

This place might have septic tanks or sand mounds. Some people are really picky about TP with that type of plumbing