Help With Very Long Flight Time

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hello guys and gals,

I have flown to various places in the US and Canada, but generally it's been a one or two hour flight out of Newark.

Now i am thinking about taking a flight out to California to see a friend i knew a long time ago and recently reconnected with that lives in the LA area so that means i'd have to fly from Newark to LAX and that is a flight that takes around 6 hours. 6 hours is not only a lot longer than i ever had to stay in the air, but it's a longgggggg time to be in one place for that long, in one seat! Geeze i dread to think of it but it's an important trip for a very important person in my life.

Question is, how the heck do people do this? I know they do because i've read about various people doing these trips and even longer to other countries. So how the heck do you do it? Anyone here do that much or even once?

I've considered a train trip, but that takes around 5 days! Yikes, 5 days on a train, i dont think so :)

Any help here with ideas how people do this kind of thing? Keep in mind, i'd probably have to fly back too ... another 6 hour trip!
HELP!

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
There are a couple of strategies. Business is different than personal.

If it's an old buddy, there is no problem. But if it's a special female interest, do not let her pick you up at airport.

You will need to de-grunge. Have a rental car ready and go shower and shave first.

Take a nite flight and 1/2 sleeping pill.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Hello guys and gals,

I have flown to various places in the US and Canada, but generally it's been a one or two hour flight out of Newark.

Now i am thinking about taking a flight out to California to see a friend i knew a long time ago and recently reconnected with that lives in the LA area so that means i'd have to fly from Newark to LAX and that is a flight that takes around 6 hours. 6 hours is not only a lot longer than i ever had to stay in the air, but it's a longgggggg time to be in one place for that long, in one seat! Geeze i dread to think of it but it's an important trip for a very important person in my life.

Question is, how the heck do people do this? I know they do because i've read about various people doing these trips and even longer to other countries. So how the heck do you do it? Anyone here do that much or even once?

I've considered a train trip, but that takes around 5 days! Yikes, 5 days on a train, i dont think so :)

Any help here with ideas how people do this kind of thing? Keep in mind, i'd probably have to fly back too ... another 6 hour trip!
HELP!
6 hours is nothing. I've done the San Diego, Ca to Diego Garcia BIOT trip a few times. That my friend, is a long trip, in a jump seat, on a C-141 Starlifter between stops to refuel.

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/distances.html?n=932

Fly on Wednesday for cheapest fares. Break the trip into a segment (1-stop) mid-flight that allows for short exit time to stretch you legs out of that seat.

Last edited:

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Take a laptop to watch a movie.
Get up and walk up and down the aisle every hour or so.
Take an inflatable neck pillow, ear plugs or noise cancelling earphones, and possibly eye shades to take a nap.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Hello guys and gals,

HELP!
6 hours in the air?? What are you flying on a DC3? Are you sure that is not with layover time? It should not take much longer than 3 hours. I would think you xhould be able to get a direct out of JFK or Laguardia.

upload_2019-3-11_22-47-11.png

You should reconsider a train. Get a roomette. I have gone cross country twice and will be doing it again. The only way to fly ;) IMHO.

And it isn't 5 days on the train. A trip on the Southwest Chief would be about 3 days. Capital Limited into Chicago less than a day from NYC. Do the Southwest Chiedf now as it will be one of the first long distance trains to get the axe if rumors are true.

Hello guys and gals,

HELP!
I have flown a couple of very long flights >11 hours. I have never been able to sleep on a plane, too hyper vigilant I guess. I came pretty close on a little puddle jumper but that was shortly after one of the >11 hour flights. Here is the thing...once they close the doors, you are not going anywhere until they open them again. Knowing this, accepting this, is the best approach to take in general.

You use a program. You can do 6 hours if you can do an hour. Start with a book or magazine. Every 2 hours, get up and walk around and do a couple deep knee bends (out of the way of traffic). Then watch a movie. Maybe play a game of chess or maybe a stupid in flight video trivia game (somebody will be cheating). Get up and walk around again. Then you can fiddle with your meal for a while. Then dig out your MP3 player and zone out on an s-load of tunes. Get up and walk around for the last time as they are telling you to get back to your seat and prepare for landing.

If you want, and I am NOT advising this, but if it is a real concern,,,go to an MD and ask if he will write you a script for a few tablets of a mild benzodiazepine, like alprazolam. I would not suggest that you try that for the very first time if you have never taken one before as some people report that it does not help at all. I do not suggest ethanol and I do not suggest any OTC medication.

Have fun.

Edit: and as I see as someone else mentioned and I forgot - definitely get a little inflatable neck pillow. Believe it or not, they can make a BIG difference.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Short of entering the Twilight Zone you will reach your destination in a finite amount of time and have the pleasure of setting out to something you will enjoy.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Consider upgrading to an exit row - wing exit on a Boeing or door exits on an Airbus. The seats are a bit narrower but more legroom and the seat ahead of you doesn’t recline.. Look up the aircraft that your flight uses and check the seating on one of the ‘best seat’ websites. Airbus seats are more comfortable than Boeing IMO.

You can usually gate-check your big carry-on at no cost when a full flight runs short of overhead space. Take that opportunity to ask for an upgrade to exit or bulkhead. Be nice. The agents appreciate that.

Tie something colorful to the handles of any check-on luggage so you can find it on the belt.

If you have Netflix or Amazon prime you can download movies to an iPad or your phone to watch in flight. Bring a good set of earbuds to attenuate the noise.

Eat before you board and have a snack or sandwich for enroute. Bring an empty water bottle through security and fill it in the other side. Stay hydrated. Easy on the booze. Bring mint gum. offer some to your seat mate. Last time I did this, I met a commercial pilot that had just upgraded to 747 captain for Atlas. He was going out on his first real gig as captain to Hong Kong. We talked airplanes and freight doggin’ and.. stuff to pass the time. You never know.. Bring a light jacket. Help parents with small children, it will make you a hero in their eyes.

Enjoy the ride.

Last edited:
Consider upgrading to an exit row - wing exit on a Boeing or door exits on an Airbus. The seats are a bit narrower but more legroom and the seat ahead of you doesn’t recline.. Look up the aircraft that your flight uses and check the seating on one of the ‘best seat’ websites. Airbus seats are more comfortable than Boeing IMO.

You can usually gate-check your big carry-on at no cost when a full flight runs short of overhead space. Take that opportunity to ask for an upgrade to exit or bulkhead. Be nice. The agents appreciate that.

Tie something colorful to the handles of any check-on luggage so you can find it on the belt.

If you have Netflix or Amazon prime you can download movies to an iPad or your phone to watch in flight. Bring a good set of earbuds to attenuate the noise.

Eat before you board and have a snack or sandwich for enroute. Bring an empty water bottle through security and fill it in the other side. Stay hydrated. Easy on the booze. Bring mint gum. Bring a light jacket. Help parents with small children, it will make you a hero in their eyes.

Enjoy the ride.
This thread is putting a smile on my face. It is interesting to note the strategies. I used to fly Southwest a lot - only once that I remember East coast to near West coast. They were usually 1-3 hour flights, but I had it down to a science.

First, get a B boarding pass. No reason to bother with an A (which has become a premium) it is a distinct disadvantage if you are traveling alone. Don't bother to jump to line up, there is lots of time to get in line. Judge the population of the waiting pool to see if the flight is booked. Usually that is pretty easy to call. You can always ask at the desk and even volunteer the bump routine (but you have to be willing to hang out at the Airport for a while - a younger person's game).

The key, is that when you turn the corner on the plane, when you have said hello to the crew and you have your first view of the seating, scan like a machine! First, the exit seats if available (only two vs three and definitely more room). By middle-B time, they are gone more often than not. You are looking for two SMALL people. One attractive woman with a child is ideal, but the kid has to be beyond incessant crying age but below the incessant chatter age - it is a tough call. Two small old people is also very good. Have a backup plan in case the person ahead of you scores the seat. This is the time for quick thinking.

Do not go for an isle seat with two empties or a window occupant. That is a sucker bet - thinking you are clear to go, because at final call the stragglers who are high-C will come in and if you get a very large one, you are in for trouble.

I check any large bag because I don't want to fight the overhead space war. But, yes, help when possible

There are exit rules also and even shared arm rest occupation rules (are we savages?) I am of the upper/lower share but on/off is also acceptable. The parents of children who kick the back of seats should be euthanized as should people who do not understand the concept of under-seat storage. Pay attention to the safety spiels, making eye contact with the presenter. You have heard it many times, and they have given it a large multiple of that number. I heard that they do not like people who blatantly do not attend.

It is risky, but I have, in fact, had some really good and long conversations with fellow travelers. One guy had a kid who zoned out on a game boy. He was a hedge fund manager and I had a million questions and he was happy to answer all of them. One young lady was a card player and we played ~2 hours of gin rummy - she was quite good (but not good enough). A business exec, cab driver, music teacher etc... it is actually fun. Look at them before engaging - if they are busy or clearly occupied, leave them alone. Avoid conversation with people who have their drink tickets out before the doors close. :)

Last edited:

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hello again,

Hey thanks a lot guys this is great information. I havent even flown anywhere in more than 20 years now so i dont know what has changed either.

But one thing i do know, airport security. I know that has gotten more strict and for good reason. But what do i need to know about that now? Do they search you and all that or just use x ray or something?
Any info here is appreciated. Thanks again 100 times over.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Hello again,

Hey thanks a lot guys this is great information. I havent even flown anywhere in more than 20 years now so i dont know what has changed either.

But one thing i do know, airport security. I know that has gotten more strict and for good reason. But what do i need to know about that now? Do they search you and all that or just use x ray or something?
I used to flight 80 times a year pre-9/11. Since then, I haven’t needed to fly very often at all, but the difference in security is extreme. There’s not much to it, though, except the amount of time to expect to be in line on a busy day and the earlier arrival required.

Do review the TSA website for information on what is OK to carry. If you make a mistake (short of firearms and explosives) it will only mean losing whatever they won’t let you take on.

By the way, I recently got a pair of Sony’s high end nose cancelling headphones. I used them on an overnight train trip and I have to say if I’d known how effective they are, I’d have wanted them much earlier. Bose is also good.

Personally, I don’t like airline travel at all, but sometimes it is the only practical choice. Good luck, and remember the reason you are flying, you wouldn’t be doing it if not for that, it can help make it bearable.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Hello again,

Well you need to now pay for leg room that used to come standard. So consider paying for the extra space. It is worth it.

But if you have the time and the extra bucks really do consider the train but only if you can afford a room. I would rather go by train any day.

And pack light! No matter what you do. Hey they have laundry machines at the other end. ;)

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
I have flown quite a few 8-9 hour cattle class flights for work and I don't find it to be a problem. I get up, walk around, chat to the other walkers and the stewardesses. Also I enjoy looking out of the window and comparing that to the moving map showing where the plane is.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
I used to flight 80 times a year pre-9/11. Since then, I haven’t needed to fly very often at all, but the difference in security is extreme. There’s not much to it, though, except the amount of time to expect to be in line on a busy day and the earlier arrival required.

Do review the TSA website for information on what is OK to carry. If you make a mistake (short of firearms and explosives) it will only mean losing whatever they won’t let you take on.

By the way, I recently got a pair of Sony’s high end nose cancelling headphones. I used them on an overnight train trip and I have to say if I’d known how effective they are, I’d have wanted them much earlier. Bose is also good.

Personally, I don’t like airline travel at all, but sometimes it is the only practical choice. Good luck, and remember the reason you are flying, you wouldn’t be doing it if not for that, it can help make it bearable.
Hi,

Thanks for the reply really.
So do they pat you down and all that or just use x ray or both? Just wondering what to expect.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
OOps I looked up New Zealand and should have looked up US. :) Hey it was late, I was on Ambeain. You do the math. ;)

http://www.answers.com/Q/How_long_is_a_flight_from_the_east_coast_to_the_west_coast

Still 6 hours? Never seems that long unless you re between two fat guys. ;) I thought it was longer than 3. but I have not flown direct in years.

Hi,

Well you know it is interesting about that "3 hour" quote because if i left here at 9am i would get there around 12 noon even though it is a 6 horu flight. So maybe that is where the 3 hours came from. To bad though it really is 6 hours on that dang plane.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Hi,

Thanks for the reply really.
So do they pat you down and all that or just use x ray or both? Just wondering what to expect.
They almost always use the body scanner now unless you refuse it or you are randomly selected for special checks—or oyu are a suspicious type. It’s more hassle than anything, no big deal. Be ready to get looks from frequent flyers if you are a bit slow in working out what to do, but ignore them, don’t get flustered.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Well you need to now pay for leg room that used to come standard. So consider paying for the extra space. It is worth it.

But if you have the time and the extra bucks really do consider the train but only if you can afford a room. I would rather go by train any day.

And pack light! No matter what you do. Hey they have laundry machines at the other end. ;)
i dont know what you mean about the leg room because all i see on the web is plane times and dates and fare prices but no mention of leg room. How would i know?
Also, it appears that some dont allow carry on? What's up with that?

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
They almost always use the body scanner now unless you refuse it or you are randomly selected for special checks—or oyu are a suspicious type. It’s more hassle than anything, no big deal. Be ready to get looks from frequent flyers if you are a bit slow in working out what to do, but ignore them, don’t get flustered.
Oh ok thanks. Yeah this is going to be very strange for me as i never had to do this years ago.
I also wonder about the cell phone if they allow, which i think they do but not sure.
Would they allow the waste band cell phone case too, with the cell phone in it?