Help with relay switch for lighting

adelage

Joined Aug 22, 2014
Hello,
I understand my question might sound stupid for most people here, but I need to control two light bulbs with a relay switch (the one with six poles), in a way that with the first click they both light up, the second click lights up only one, the third switches off the first one and lights up only the second one, and then they all switch off..is it possible to do it with the above mentioned relay switch and how?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
You are going to need to better describe your switch for example 6PDT or 6PDT with a center off, the list goes on. You also don't mention the load? Light Bulbs is not very descriptive as in what voltage and how much power is being switched? You may want to read this:Poles and Throws, Open and Closed.

Ron

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
You could do it with a uniselector from an old strowger telephone exchange. Uniselector is streching the term relay. I don't see any way to do it with any single normal relay. I think using a CD4017, some diodes and two relays. ( Or power transitors or mosfets could be used if the lamps ran from a DC supply. Using the first two stages of a down counter IC would give the sequence you want without using the diodes with a CD4017.

Les.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Hello,
I understand my question might sound stupid for most people here, but I need to control two light bulbs with a relay switch (the one with six poles), in a way that with the first click they both light up, the second click lights up only one, the third switches off the first one and lights up only the second one, and then they all switch off..is it possible to do it with the above mentioned relay switch and how?

If the bulbs are on DC, you can do it with diodes,.
If it's AC then
If your relay is a centre pole off ,then yes it can be done, otherwise you need two relays or a 4way rotary switch.

Last edited:

adelage

Joined Aug 22, 2014
so, the load is 220v (for both the relay and the bulbs) as for the relay, unfortunately I can't check right now exactly which model is, I will let you know tomorrow