Help with Outdoor Address Light

PenelopeMyers

Joined Apr 15, 2021
Hoping I can get some help. I have a Seagull Address Light model 9600-821. From what I can tell by the label on the unit, it's a 12V 5W. It's old. I tried replacing with a Seagull Address Light that is LED and 120V (model: 96091S-12). I connected the white wires and black/pink wires together using electrical caps/wire nuts and the light won't turn on. Am I wrong to think a 120V LED will work on lower voltage? Wires are connected to a transformer as it's connected to the doorbell. What are your thoughts?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Hoping I can get some help. I have a Seagull Address Light model 9600-821. From what I can tell by the label on the unit, it's a 12V 5W. It's old. I tried replacing with a Seagull Address Light that is LED and 120V (model: 96091S-12). I connected the white wires and black/pink wires together using electrical caps/wire nuts and the light won't turn on. Am I wrong to think a 120V LED will work on lower voltage? Wires are connected to a transformer as it's connected to the doorbell. What are your thoughts?
Welcome to AAC.
The 120V model will not operate at 12V.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
A little research shows what I'd have expected. The original model is designed for 16VAC which is what a common doorbell transformer will supply. It can't power something expecting 120VAC.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Alternatively it could be checked to see if the 12v innards could be switched over to the new model to run on 12v I would imagine all it needs is a new lamp at that point.

PenelopeMyers

Joined Apr 15, 2021
Hmm, if the 120V LED won't work on 12V using the existing transformer then it sound like I'm better off buying an address light with 12V (non LED). Found an option by Kitchler Lighting #43800BKT but it's 16V, Xenon (not LED). Do you think that's a better option?

The transformer is not close by. Transformer inside the garage near door and this address light on exterior of house.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Hmm, if the 120V LED won't work on 12V using the existing transformer then it sound like I'm better off buying an address light with 12V (non LED). Found an option by Kitchler Lighting #43800BKT but it's 16V, Xenon (not LED). Do you think that's a better option?

The transformer is not close by. Transformer inside the garage near door and this address light on exterior of house.
And the wiring to it may be LV rated, i.e. not suitable for 120vac.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019

That will work, but you could get a direct replacement as well...

sea-gull-lighting-9600-12-address-light-1238-address-light-in-black

PenelopeMyers

Joined Apr 15, 2021
@Yaakov You mentioned that a 120V will not operate at 12V. If I connected the address light and it didn't power on but the doorbell works, is it safe to assume I didn't damage the transformer or wires? I have already disconnected it and I don't have a way of testing the wires. I will probably need to hire an electrician. Thanks to you and @MaxHeadRoom for solving the mystery on why it won't work. I will order a new one once I can figure out if the 43900BKT Kitchler will work on a 12V since it's a 16V. I tried looking at my doorbell transformer but I'm not unable to see the voltage.

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Do you still have the old unit- perhaps it can be fixed? Want to provide some photos, so we can view it?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
@Yaakov You mentioned that a 120V will not operate at 12V. If I connected the address light and it didn't power on but the doorbell works, is it safe to assume I didn't damage the transformer or wires? I have already disconnected it and I don't have a way of testing the wires. I will probably need to hire an electrician. Thanks to you and @MaxHeadRoom for solving the mystery on why it won't work. I will order a new one once I can figure out if the 43900BKT Kitchler will work on a 12V since it's a 16V. I tried looking at my doorbell transformer but I'm not unable to see the voltage.
It is unlikely that you did any damage. I can't think of a way that would happen. If the doorbell works, you are fine. The older Seagull was also 16V according to its specifications and that makes sense since doorbells are 16V.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
For me, If I had invested in the wrong model and could not return it i would be looking at fitting cheap LED strips, I have never used these but it may be this simple?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
For me, If I had invested in the wrong model and could not return it i would be looking at fitting cheap LED strips, I have never used these but it may be this simple?

I have some of those, they aren't bad but I think I would put a fairly large current limiting resistor to reduce the sheet, they push them pretty hard and they would die much sooner than you'd like in that application. You'd need a driver as well. But sure, I would almost certainly retrofit the fixture myself as well.