Help with LED strobe circuit

westva1

Joined Jan 6, 2007
I've been working on various circuits to make LEDs (12 volt clusters of them) strobe. I looked at a commercial unit. It does not use a 555 because pin 1 is the 12v voltage in on the 8 pin IC. Pins 2 and three have a 64K resistor across them. Pin 4 is not connected. The output (PIN 7) looks like it connects to one side of a transistor. The center pin and I assume it the BASE connects directly to the output (12 volts). The circuit will drive up to 100 leds it says. It strobes (4 times in a second) pauses and repeats. Any help on what the IC number and transistor type would be appreciated.

westva1

Joined Jan 6, 2007
Actually I have diagrams similiar to those. The circuit I need is attached. I wrote down the parts I could see, but the IC and looks like transistor numbers are unknown. Does anyone know what the two unknowns could possibly be? Pin 1 on the IC is + in. Pins 4, 6 and 8 are not connected. The circuit can be connected to a max. of 100 12 volt Ultra Bright LEDS. It pulses 4 times a second, pauses and keeps repeating. Its used on emergency LED lighting for volunteer firemen, police, etc.

Attachments

westva1

Joined Jan 6, 2007
I attached the circuit "unknown.jpg" several days ago with no response. Sure would be glad if someone could steer me in the right direction as for the two unknown parts in the diagram.

westva1

Joined Jan 6, 2007
Does anyone know what 8 pin IC is in the "unknown.jpg" I attached earlier? Its a really neat circuit. Can't find an IC with that number on it and NONE that have pin 1 as the 12+ in.

westva1

Joined Jan 6, 2007
D2 is a diode (small glass) and looks like a IN60A. I just drew it fast. I'm just trying to figure out what the IC and transistor could be. Can not find any 8 pin ICs that have pin 1 as the + voltage.

westva1

Joined Jan 6, 2007
the negative side is connected to pin 5 of IC and to R2. The + side connects to the + side of C1 and to the power in from the main diode.

Any body know how to make a strobe circuit (oscillator rather) with two NPN transistors. I remember doing this my self a while back with 2-2N3904 Transistors, two resistors, and two capacitors, but I can't remember the lay out. It adjusts the strobe rate by changing the capacitor values and resistor values.

630R63

Joined Jan 23, 2008
Any body know how to make a strobe circuit (oscillator rather) with two NPN transistors. I remember doing this my self a while back with 2-2N3904 Transistors, two resistors, and two capacitors, but I can't remember the lay out. It adjusts the strobe rate by changing the capacitor values and resistor values.
Here you go!!!

Attachments

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Hmm - thingmaker3 brings up a good point - seems like this is a "house-numbered" IC to make it more difficult to determine the actual part number.

It's entirely possible that they also put the pin 1 indicator on the wrong end of the IC to make it even tougher ;)

See what you get when you look for 8-pin IC's that have Vcc on pin 5.

Søren

Joined Sep 2, 2006
Hi,

The circuit I need is attached. I wrote down the parts I could see, but the IC and looks like transistor numbers are unknown. Does anyone know what the two unknowns could possibly be?

Its used on emergency LED lighting for volunteer firemen, police, etc.
It's probably "in-house" markings they have, but why would you need these exact components?
If you just wanna build something for personal use (i.e. not for profit), just use another circuit.

Here is a circuit I made some years ago for a volunteer firefighters vehicle - not exactly what you want, but it's in use a couple of places around the globe and proven to work reliably.

Use only for non profit though!

ganthony

Joined Feb 4, 2008
On Soren's emergency vehicle schematic, is there any limit to what kind of leds you use; is it possible that some hi-powered leds need too much power? Because I was looking at leds that use 3.6 volts and 300mA forward current. If that is too big, what is the max that i can use?

Thanks for your help

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
The TIP122 Darlingtons that Soren specified are good for up to roughly 4A.
If you need more than 4A, TIP140, TIP141, or TIP142 are good for up to 10A continuous. In this application you could probably get up to 12A from TIP14x's. Be sure to use heat sinks on them to avoid overheating.