Help with High current 12V power source

tommymilan311

Joined Jun 3, 2015
Okay, so I went through a couple related forums and it didn't sound like English to me. :D

But, I'm looking to make a high current power source. Something at 12-14V and 80+ amps. I have come across a few youtube videos showing how to make them out of computer power supplies and server power supplies. The server power supplies having more power.

I'm on a bit of a budget. This was a project that I was expecting to spend tens of dollars and it quickly looked like it was going to be over 100. I'm not wanting to spend a whole lot because all I'm looking to do is connect one of my car amps laying around to my home theater with a pair of Subs. My subs are 500W a piece and this is going to require a hefty power supply. I was initially thinking a bench test would work great, and I'm sure it would. But the prices are out of this world (compared to what I thought they'd be). After more research I was being lead to standard power supplies like off an X-Box, but that isn't close to the current I need (only 10 amps). Then I was lead to compute power supplies, which is getting closer (Can find a 35A at 12V for under $50). Now after more research I'm at a server power supply. The problem I'm now having is finding specs on the more affordable ones.

I'm looking at these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6J12S90329
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817292131
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817292132

I'm having a hard time finding the 12V specs.

Does anyone have any advise that will assist? I'm on about a $50 budget and I'm open to other solutions. I'm somewhat tech savvy, but don't understand some of the lingo. I know how to fallow diagrams, solder, all that. I just need to be pointed in the right direction.

Thanks all.

Last edited:

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
The supplies you've found should work. Great prices. Two things. First, these are switching supplies intended for a computer chassis, ans as such will have some high frequency noise on their outputs that might interfere with the audio. Second, while all of them probably have standard IEC line cord inputs, they might have proprietary high current output connections. 80-100 amp connectors are hard enough, and these are pluggable. You might wind up having to solder directly to the output connector pins.

Overall, you plan will work, but it won't be easy.

ak

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
You might be getting several other Vs becides +12V, limiting real output @ 12V.
Then there is rewinding secondary on microwave oven transformer?
Float a lead acid battery on output of power supply to supply peak power.

cornishlad

Joined Jul 31, 2013
You might be getting several other Vs becides +12V, limiting real output @ 12V.
Then there is rewinding secondary on microwave oven transformer?
Float a lead acid battery on output of power supply to supply peak power.
Actually I think a "12" volt battery "floated" across a stabilised 12v supply would supply almost all the power until its terminal voltage reached 12v. However at that voltage it would be completely flat and would not recharge.
If the power supply was nearer 14v that would be ok - the situation in a car where the alternator is the PS.

tommymilan311

Joined Jun 3, 2015
I have thought this too. There are a few videos on youtube that turned me onto the idea. One of these videos used a server power supply (much high quality one than the ones I'm looking at) into a bench power supply. He added a small motor controller to control voltage, which gave him a variable of 12-16V. I too was considering this. I don't really care about reading amps, but he did that too, which could be somewhat beneficial I suppose. It does appear he has much more invested that I'd like to invest however.

Here is the link friend: