Help with Game Camera and Power Supply

daynick

Joined Apr 18, 2020
Hello I hope this post is appropriate. I have a Browning BTC 5HD Game Camera that runs on 8 triple A batteries. It also has a aux power 12V dc. I found a couple class 2 power supply plug ins at home that I have since forgot what they power. I plugged one into the camera and it lit up but then after a few seconds went dark. Then I tried another and it lit up for 2 seconds. I thought I fried it so I put 8 batteries in and it seems to be ok. Now when I plug it back into either of those transformers it won't light up at all. I am trying to figure out how I can make it run off of one of these transformers because it eats my batteries real fast. I have attached the three options I have and was wondering if anyone could please give me some advice. Also, do I have to be careful when plugging the camera into these could I blow out the camera? Thank you very much.

plug.jpgps1.jpgps2.jpgps3.jpg

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The camera appears to require more current than any of your supplies are (were?) capable of. You may have burnt up the supplies or, if you're lucky, blew an internal fuse.

Start by researching what the camera requires and use a supply rated to that current or more (or even lots more). You can test your supplies with a voltmeter if you have one. There are other ways if you want to pursue that. It depends what you have on hand.

None of your adapters will work. You need 9V DC >=1 AMP as an output. The solid line over a dotted one means DC. You MAY not have caused damage because of the 200 mA limit of both adapters.

The other criteria is the polarity of the DC barrel connector. AC will not have one. It may use "~" as a symbol. Both DC adapters that you show are center positive.

The size of the DC barrel connector matters too. Unfortunately 5.5 OD/2.1 ID and 5.5/2.5 exist. When the 5.5/2.5 is used on the 5.5/2.1 it may appear to fit but can lead to intermittant contact. I have both M/F counterparts labeled so I can test easily. or odd sizes, I was able to use drill bits and a digital micrometer. You have to be careful.

I now label the cords with stuff like 12V 1A 5.5/2.1 C+ and Linksys Mod x /Router so the cords don;t get confused. I mark the device too. I use a brother p-touch labeler.

May have given the wrong advice. 8*1.5 =12 VDC, so you likely need that. The current can be anywhere from 100 mA to 1 Amp based on an AAA battery datasheet. center + is common, but not guaranteed. Check the camera body. it's usually there.

daynick

Joined Apr 18, 2020
The camera appears to require more current than any of your supplies are (were?) capable of. You may have burnt up the supplies or, if you're lucky, blew an internal fuse.

Start by researching what the camera requires and use a supply rated to that current or more (or even lots more). You can test your supplies with a voltmeter if you have one. There are other ways if you want to pursue that. It depends what you have on hand.
This response tells me how little I know about electronics I never thought that the camera could damage the power supplies. I tried two of them darn it now I guess I will have to test those. And I thought using more "lots more" was dangerous to the camera. Gee, I have a lot to learn. Thank you for your response.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
This response tells me how little I know about electronics I never thought that the camera could damage the power supplies. I tried two of them darn it now I guess I will have to test those. And I thought using more "lots more" was dangerous to the camera. Gee, I have a lot to learn. Thank you for your response.
Consider your wall outlet. They can usually supply 15 amps or about 1,800 watts before your circuit breaker blows. And yet you are perfectly safe plugging in a 5W nightlight. The voltage needs to match and the load takes what it needs. The supply needs to meet that need and any extra capacity is...extra.

And do be sure to check the polarity and DC versus AC that the camera needs.