Help with finding total resistance in this series parallel circuit

kochere18

Joined Jan 25, 2016
So my assignment was to build this circuit in multisim and measure all the values for the completed circuit as well as with defects (R2 shorted, R2 open, etc.). So I got all of the measurements fine but the next part requires you to take the circuit with a defect, and write down all the steps and calculations for analyzing the circuit. So I know to begin with a series parallel circuit you should find Rt, but I am confused with this specific circuit on what is series and parallel and how to add them up. So all I need to know is how I would calculate the total resistance using standard methods, and how would I then calculate it assuming R2 is open?

Attachments

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
You need to show YOUR best attempt to work YOUR homework. Don't worry about it being completely correct, just take your best shot. That gives us a starting point to work from.

kochere18

Joined Jan 25, 2016
You need to show YOUR best attempt to work YOUR homework. Don't worry about it being completely correct, just take your best shot. That gives us a starting point to work from.
I understand and have given many attempts working out how I personally would have added them up. However I have now heard for this specific circuit that it cannot be looked at with typical series parallel parameters and must use a transformation which I have not even slightly touched in my classes yet. Since I have all the measured values like the paper said I wonder if I should just put Rt as a given and go from there doing typical series parallel analysis

kochere18

Joined Jan 25, 2016
I find it funny however that my post is being looked at as cheating or trying to get by on my homework when I see many more like it getting much more help, maybe its just that I have a new account?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I understand and have given many attempts working out how I personally would have added them up. However I have now heard for this specific circuit that it cannot be looked at with typical series parallel parameters and must use a transformation which I have not even slightly touched in my classes yet. Since I have all the measured values like the paper said I wonder if I should just put Rt as a given and go from there doing typical series parallel analysis
Where are all these attempts that you have given? I don't see a single one.

Based on your description, you are never asked to find Rt for the circuit as given, but only with the various defects.

As I said, we need a starting point. How can we tall you where you are going wrong if you won't show us where you went?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I find it funny however that my post is being looked at as cheating or trying to get by on my homework when I see many more like it getting much more help, maybe its just that I have a new account?
Who said your post is being looked at as cheating. It is a simple matter of not being able to help you correct your mistakes if we can't see your mistakes to begin with.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
In the original diagram??? Or under one of the defect conditions?

I'm actually having a hard time imagining any defect condition that would place them in series.
It is responsibility of OP to present information in clear and organized manner.