Help with elevators.

mashujin44

Joined Feb 28, 2008
Hi, im new here. Just visited this site and i found it amazing that people here help others eventhough the projects are for academics. I would like to ask for help for my elevator simulation project. the elevator is suppose to run by using a stepper motor. yet, as the cart reaches the floor you have pressed, the door must simultaneously open up, like a real elevator. The one that i will be building is needed to be 4-storey, no weighs will be applied to the cart, only the cart itself will be carried up and down. I have read the other posts here, and it says you would be needing limit switches, other says use optical sensors. I have merely no idea where to start from, can anybody help me...

a link below is the animation i have made on how the elevator should behave.
http://www.mytoons.com/animation/play/12972

Note: no programmable logics may be applied.

when some one press button to go to first floor. then your stepper motor will take your cart to that first floor. then you may open the door . why do you need to use sensors to know whether your lift had arrived or else.

mashujin44

Joined Feb 28, 2008
i wanted the doors to open up automatically when the cart reaches its desired destination. so i think it would be needing sensors like micro switches. what is of great need is the circuitry for the control of the elevator model...thanks anyway

if you want to reach some particular floor then you will calculate the no. of steps given to stepper motor to reach that floor then open the gate.

mashujin44

Joined Feb 28, 2008
so if i know how many steps it would take the stepper motor to reach a certain floor, how will i be able to make its stop on that floor. thanks

note: can you provide me with a nice resource? a schematic or web link would do great. i am in really great need to finish this project...

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Real elevators use sensors to determine where the elevator is - either optical devices or physical switches or magnetic devices. There are several on either side of the "zero" position for each floor - this lets the elevator control system slow the car as it approaches and/or reverse the car if it overshoots.

A control system determines where the car needs to be, sends the car there, and controls the doors. These systems are proprietary, of course. Schematics are not made available. Typing "elevator control schematic" into Google Image Search does provide some block diagrams, some partial schematics, and some toy elevators.

Perhaps a microprocessor would be the best choice for a model as complex as the one desired here.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
There seems to be several people working on a 4-story elevator project. Let's keep the project in one thread, so that ideas are available to all participants. I've closed the other threads (including one which was "hijacked") to help avoid confusion. I will re-open some of them at a later time.

Please note well: I am not an elevator mechanic. I have, however, spent some time with one and picked up some information. I will be happy to help out if I can.

I will NOT do anyone's work for them, though! Obviously, this is a class assignment of some kind and the students MUST do their own work.

kinks1988

Joined Feb 28, 2008
thingmaker3 can you help us build d elevator circuit!!! we are very thankful for it!!! As of now were running out of time!!! tnx in advance!!1

kinks1988

Joined Feb 28, 2008
i already have circuit how to up/down the stepper motor using a universal shift register!!! just need how to stops the elevator car in every floor the user desires!!! tnx!!!

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
i already have circuit how to up/down the stepper motor using a universal shift register!!! just need how to stops the elevator car in every floor the user desires!!! tnx!!!
Use a sensor of some kind on each floor to tell whether or not the elevator is there. Examples include: micro-switch, hall effect sensor, trained monkey with pull-cord connected to donkey's tail, optical sensor, or any other sensor capable of telling "car" from "not car."

kinks1988

Joined Feb 28, 2008
Use a sensor of some kind on each floor to tell whether or not the elevator is there. Examples include: micro-switch, hall effect sensor, trained monkey with pull-cord connected to donkey's tail, optical sensor, or any other sensor capable of telling "car" from "not car."

Can you please help me design a circuit that will actually stop the elevator car to its desired floor and automatically opens the door!!!! just like a real elevator!!! using a timer and sensor!!! tnx in advance!!!!
please!!!! tnx!!!!:) :) :)

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
The sensor will let your microprocessor know if the elevator is on the correct floor, above the correct floor, or below the correct floor. The pushbuttons will tell the microprocessor which floor is the correct floor. The microprocessor can then send a signal to open the doors.

I would not use a timer for this application.

Before I reply to this thread again, I want to see some initial attempts posted here by one or more of you. This is not my project, I'm only here lend a hand.

with my little knowledge what i think is that
you must be controlling your stepper motor using micro controller. when a particular floor is reached you can run delay program i.e. wait for some time .

sensors will be needed if you are not using stepper motor.

jerone

Joined Aug 30, 2008
I have here now all what you want but its a 5 storey bldg, but a freight elevator,no doors to open and to be opened. im using only ttl ics and some magnetic contactors,limit switches and a 220v single phase ac motor. This is just also for a project. But I think,Im too late to help you guys.