Help with batteries and charging etc.

MOsaicDragon

Joined Apr 2, 2019
I have a portable charger(15000mah) with a bunch of 3.7v batteries hooked up in parallel. Inside the case the batteries are connected to the unit via a red and black wire. the unit itself has one usb in and 3 outs. it does not output whilst charging. I also have a usb hub (with battery connecters for powering raspberry pi. Could i solder that to the battery connectors on the charger and have both the cahrger and the hub connected in parallel to the same batteries?

Apologies if i miss stuff out im(very) new to this

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I have a portable charger(15000mah) with a bunch of 3.7v batteries hooked up in parallel. Inside the case the batteries are connected to the unit via a red and black wire. the unit itself has one usb in and 3 outs. it does not output whilst charging. I also have a usb hub (with battery connecters for powering raspberry pi. Could i solder that to the battery connectors on the charger and have both the cahrger and the hub connected in parallel to the same batteries?

From what I understand based on your description, you can’t do what you want safely. But it would be a lot easier to figure out if you could draw a schematic, or even just a diagram of how things are connected. Then you could get a better answer.

mvas

Joined Jun 19, 2017

If you do make a modification, then you need to consider all of the consequences and any bad side effects of your actions.
I assume, per the 3.7 volt cells, that this is a Lithium battery pack?
There are good reasons why the battery pack has no output, when charging.
Can you provide a URL link to your 15,000 mah Battery Pack?

MOsaicDragon

Joined Apr 2, 2019
IM not good aat diagrams or schematics- especially interpreting them from electronics but i can provide some details. Power Bank Link.
Please se below a photograph of it What i'd attempt to do is connect positive to positive(Both red wires) and negative to negative(black) so that both the power bank module and the pi battery hat both run off the battery seperately.
IMG_20190402_134732.jpg

Last edited:

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I wouldn’t do what you are proposing. Both board can charge the battery, and the potential for strange behavior and damage is too great.

MOsaicDragon

Joined Apr 2, 2019
If that is the case, is there any simple way to do what i am proposing or should i just disconnect the battery from the power pack and connect to the hub?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
If that is the case, is there any simple way to do what i am proposing or should i just disconnect the battery from the power pack and connect to the hub?
What is the goal in maintaining both boards? Do you just want more power ports?

The best way to ensure you don't bypass any protection devices is to just connected the battery to the hub.

MOsaicDragon

Joined Apr 2, 2019
The goal in maintaining it would be to have freedom of more power ports etc. Ie i could charge it via powerpack and power devices from both the powerpack and the hub. It also gives me charging ports that are independant of the pi- The pi doesnt like things like phones connected and also lets me spin up a hdd