Help With A Intercom System I Have

Tom Furniss

Joined Apr 17, 2018
Hi guys, i came across a article on this forum regarding a sound activated switch. il try and explain best i can what i have and the problem.

we have fitted a smart intercom system on a house which consists of 2 x outside callstations and 1 x internal intercom station.

every is fine but the customer has now found a problem which is the following. they are elderly and the monitor for the intercom is inside at the back of the house. the intercom only rings the same ringtone regardless if the front door intercom or the side gate is pressed. this has become a issue as if they are near the front of the house and the intercom rings they have to walk to back of the house to see which gate they are at and then go to that place.

what we need is one of the intercoms to signal or do something differnt so they know when someone is at whatever intercom.

i have taken apart the side intercom and managed to locate a output from the push button so it activates a wireless doorbell button which works fine. the issue i found now is that the 2 x cables i disconnected from the call button no longer activates the internal intercom and just the wireless door bell (for obvious reasons)

if i connect all the cables together so when the push button is pressed it should send the signal to the board in the call station and also activate my wireless doorbell (just removed the push button and soldered 2 cables in replace so when i touch the cables together it triggers)

this dosent work and i found that the wireless button (once connected with the cable into the board) seems to close the circuit all the time.

so i tried fitting diodes inbetween the cable to the wireless doorbell side of things and no luck.

when i put my meter on the cables it seems to show the intercom itself is activated by some sort of resistance (i might be completely wrong)

is there a way to make a dry contact from something like this for the wireless bell . sorry i bet this seems confusing or vague

many thanks for any replys

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
First.. Have you contacted the manufacturer of this system to ask if they have something to address this as it should be a common problem/request?
They may have an off the shelf module or modification that can be performed to differentiate call locations..

Who is the manufacturer and what model system is this?
Can you get pictures of this intercom systems internals?
Do you have details on the buttons so we can possibly see if they are just momentary buttons or open collector devices or something like that.. What is your meter set at and what were the open/closed readings??

Tom Furniss

Joined Apr 17, 2018
First.. Have you contacted the manufacturer of this system to ask if they have something to address this as it should be a common problem/request?
They may have an off the shelf module or modification that can be performed to differentiate call locations..

Who is the manufacturer and what model system is this?
Can you get pictures of this intercom systems internals?
Do you have details on the buttons so we can possibly see if they are just momentary buttons or open collector devices or something like that.. What is your meter set at and what were the open/closed readings??
Hi, thank you for your reply.

yes have contacted the manufacturer regarding this. They currently do not offer any help on it.

HIK Vision Intercom Systems, The systems in question are the following

Hik Vision Villa Callstation (1 button)
and HIK Vision indoor station WT

i can get photos etc and what i have done in the morning when i get back to the office if thats ok.

many thanks for your reply

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Might be better to fit a dpdt relay inside the intercom, so that say the side gate button powers the relay coil, which operates the intercom as normal , and also a separate buzzer/ doorbell.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Might be better to fit a dpdt relay inside the intercom, so that say the side gate button powers the relay coil, which operates the intercom as normal , and also a separate buzzer/ doorbell.
My first thought as well... Typically intercom systems are quite simple and it may already have something like that in place..
Thats why I thought pictures of the circuitry would help some..

All though in todays world everything has gone the mass produced "electronic" way so it might be tricky..

and of course now looking at the 2 devices mentioned its seems its all "IP" based/electronic/software based so we will most certainly need to see the closeups of whats there..

In the end a hand written sign of "Use Front Door Only" may be the best solution :D

Last edited:
Confusing. How does the button operate? Any push to talk functions? Not enough information etc.

Some reverse engineering may be required.

One quick thing you can do is monitor the voltage across the button. It could just be a DC level that gets grounded. If so, you can detect that electronically and say activate your wireless doorbell transmitter. Many of them have front/back door models where the sound changes.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Thats the call box right?.. The indoor station is where you would need to do some "hacking".
And yes.. Its more "electronic" now than they used to be so there may be little you can do..

I'm gonna stick with the "Use Front Door Only" sign :)

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
How many conductors are in the cable between the call station and the internal station ? Are all of the conductors from both call stations just paralleled or do they go to a separate set of connections in the internal unit for each call station ? Can you post the installation instructions ? Do you have a multimeter for testing and know how to use it ?

Les.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
How many conductors are in the cable between the call station and the internal station ? Are all of the conductors from both call stations just paralleled or do they go to a separate set of connections in the internal unit for each call station ? Can you post the installation instructions ? Do you have a multimeter for testing and know how to use it ?

Les.
Its Ethernet/IP based communication between the units...