Help with 5v 167mah solar panel and phone charging

Biospaz

Joined Aug 2, 2014
Hi, I've been looking online to try and understand how to build a solar panel cell phone charger and all the projects I've found either center around just connecting straight to the 6v 167mah solar panel found at radio shack or praying a USB charging control panel from a backup battery for the purpose of converting the power. In only one design did I see someone use a couple diodes to refuse and clean the power to 5v Nessesay for a USB. However, I don't understand how this would address the glaring current issue. As I understand, most phones require at least 1ah to properly charge. Is there a way to properly address the above issue with a transformer and/or combination of capacitors/transistors to get the desired current from just one panel or would I need more panels in parallel to achieve this desired result. Or, am I just completely misunderstanding the projects I saw online and am over thinking the situation. I am very new to this and I am trying to this project as a mental exercise to learn more. Thank you for any help you can provide in helping me learn this super complicated world.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
As I understand, most phones require at least 1ah to properly charge. Is there a way to properly address the above issue with a transformer and/or combination of capacitors/transistors to get the desired current from just one panel or would I need more panels in parallel to achieve this desired result.
You need more panels. Most phones will require far more than 100mA to charge up in any reasonable amount of time, and many will not even initiate charging unless they can see a good supply of current. A full 1A may not be necessary, though.

There are DC-DC converters that can adjust voltage levels for you, but nothing can change the fact that there is not enough energy coming in from the panel.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
If I wanted to charge my cell phone from a solar panel (but I don't because I don't own a cell phone) here's what I would do.

I would get two 6V sealed lead acid batteries. While one is being charged by solar power the other is being used to charge the phone. I would put a 5V regulator connected to a USB jack to charge the phone.

AlphaDesign888

Joined Jul 27, 2014
If I wanted to charge my cell phone from a solar panel (but I don't because I don't own a cell phone) here's what I would do.

I would get two 6V sealed lead acid batteries. While one is being charged by solar power the other is being used to charge the phone. I would put a 5V regulator connected to a USB jack to charge the phone.
Seems like good advice to me.

You don't like smart phones? This site is quirky with an 3.5" touch screen.

I don't even have spell check :eek: