Help Wiring DPDT Switch to Reverse a 115v Split Phase Motor

Michael303

Joined Jul 24, 2018
I have a 115v split phase 1/4hp motor I'm using on a small belt sander. It's reversible. Initially, I hooked it up with a SPST switch but I'd like to wire a DPDT switch so I can run it in either direction.

I thought I had this figured out when I wired it up last night but the motor hummed with the switch in the off position when I plugged it in. I quickly disconnected it realizing I'm not as smart as I thought I was. Now I'm looking for some help. I did some searching through old posts but other examples only seemed to have 2 wires coming off the motor but mine has 4 as you can see below.

If someone could give me some guidance on how to wire it up or tell me I need a different switch it would be greatly appreciated. I'll try to post a diagram of how I initially tried to wire it up when I get home later but since it's wrong (and would probably look incredibly crude) I'm not sure how much it will help.

This is the motor.

I also have a DPDT on-off-on switch that's wired internally like this. This is the switch.

Michael303

Joined Jul 24, 2018
Here's how I had the switch wired. I believe it makes all the right connections to go CW and CCW when the switch is in either of the ON positions but after looking at it again the power is just running through the windings in the OFF position.

Here's the motor wiring again.

I don't know if there's another way to wire it without the jumpers. Maybe there's another type of switch that I need?

The motor doesn't have a capacitor on the outside so I'm guessing it's not a PSC.

Just to clarify, am I correct in assuming the "ungrounded side of line" is the hot side?

Michael303

Joined Jul 24, 2018
Ok, I think I have it figured out. I'll just put this here in case it's useful for someone else in the future.

Turns out I'll need a 3 pole double throw, or 4 pole double throw switch to do it. I poked around the intertubes and finally ran into the following diagrams and it finally made sense (I think).

3PDT

4PDT