Help wanted... lightning strike wreaks havoc on power supplies!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
SMPS (switch mode power supplies) are plentiful, especially with this low a current.
Anything that supplies 24vdc at or greater than 1.3amps should work.
Where abouts are you and what suppliers do you have access to?
Max.

If you really don't know, contact Skynet. http://www.skynetpower.com.tw/main.asp?TOPIC=Product

It' similar to their 40 W models. With an AC in and two connections for Vout and 2 for ground which is uncommon. It's a 850-903Y built in 1991.

Unfortunately, there are many common voltages. e.g. 12, 15, 24, 48.

This http://azsurplus.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1795 IS NOT IT, but it's the same series.

MY GUESS is it's Similar to this; http://www.skynetpower.com.tw/pdf/SNP-903Series.pdf

Look around and see if there are 24 VDC parts. like relays etc.

DON'T USE MY GUESSES.

Last edited:

Capri335

Joined Nov 29, 2014
Thank you everyone. I managed to find a guy who has worked on this model machine (and others) he is coming out in 2 days. He says he already has an alternate power supply and hopefully that will be it, if nothing else is damaged.
I really appreciate the input that I got. There is useful stuff here, if the tech doesn't get it done.
By the way. The lightning hit the power pole opposite my place and the workshop (a steel shed). It also jumped from my workshop to my neighbours patio (1.8 meters away). We lost a lot more than this board. The other stuff was easy to replace though and no one was hurt. My power meter didn't work either after the hit. Not even once the power was connected again. I reckon we got off lightly really.

I remember two strikes, possibly 3:

1) Lightning hit a power pole when I was a kid while my parents and I were waiting for the rain to pass.
2) Only a Tripp-Lite ISOBAR surge protector apparently got hit when a computer/monitor was next to a window, The ISOBAR was black. ISOBAR's insurance paid for the expensive monitor damage.

There is only two ways that can help:

1) A whole house surge protector that comes with insurance (save your receipt).
2) Lightning rods
3) It's possible that lightning did strike a vent at home.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
That's what I was wondering... if it is possible to replace this with another power supply. The only problem here is that I wouldn't really have a clue what to ask for or to order. I am guessing that the transformer lable holds the clue. 240V AC .5 amp in and 24V DC 1.3 amps out. There are only 2 wires into this and 2 wires out. As for working it out, that is a bit beyond me. The other board that it plugs into has no values on the input side, other than "DC".
The connectors look like 2 wires in and 4 wires out. Are two of the output pins unused? They might be for optional remove voltage sensing.

My guess is that you just need a 24V DC power supply capable of delivering at least 1.3 A. If you can power that supply separately, then you just have to get one that is compatible with your utility service, which I'm assuming is 240 VAC. Most supplies like this will work at either 50 Hz or 60 Hz, but check to be sure the one you get will work at your mains frequency. If you are needing to power it from the same source that powered the other one, then try to get one that is rated for no more than 0.5A on the 240 VAC input since you don't know how much above that your equipment can handle. Since you are only needing about 32W of output and the existing installation is prepared to provide up to 120 W to do that, you should have much problem finding a suitable supply, very possibly even one that can be mounted in the same place that the original one was. I don't know how good the quality of the DC power needs to be, though.

Here's what a quick DigiKey search revealed:

http://www.digikey.com/product-sear...t=0&page=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Thank you everyone. I managed to find a guy who has worked on this model machine (and others) he is coming out in 2 days. He says he already has an alternate power supply and hopefully that will be it, if nothing else is damaged.
I really appreciate the input that I got. There is useful stuff here, if the tech doesn't get it done.
By the way. The lightning hit the power pole opposite my place and the workshop (a steel shed). It also jumped from my workshop to my neighbours patio (1.8 meters away). We lost a lot more than this board. The other stuff was easy to replace though and no one was hurt. My power meter didn't work either after the hit. Not even once the power was connected again. I reckon we got off lightly really.
Lightening is a very strange critter. Our building got hit and it took out our phone system, which was on the network, and it took out the network cards in nearly every computer. My computer, which was nearest where the building was hit, lost the network card and the floppy drive and the diskette that was in the floppy drive (which was my boot floppy since the boot sector on the hard drive had gone bad years before). Everything else was fine and after replacing those three things I used that machine for several more years.

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
Lightning will travel through phone/internet cable to your computer,that's why high value equipment should be completely disconnected if possible during the thunder storm.

Capri335

Joined Nov 29, 2014
All fixed with a generic 24V power supply. Plenty of room in the cabinet. The machine is working perfectly.
Thanks everyone once again. Sure glad for insurance!