Help to identify fuse in LG washer #2

mgorbet

Joined Sep 28, 2008
Thank you all so much for this discussion.

I'm wondering if the OP has any updates, as I have almost exactly the same situation. Two blown fuses, no sign of arcing or anything like that. My mains is not melted. PCB no longer available, though mine is identical to the one posted so I see it's "12A 125V time-delay" ... the other blown fuse on the line filter does say 15A on its collar.

I'm considering ordering a few of each and soldering them in - doesn't look too bad and I did a similar "through-the resin" repair on my matching LG washer dryer earlier this year.

I'm just super-confused as to what the issue might be. I had a very slight leak when I last ran the washer, perhaps water got into the main PCB? I don't see any place where water got to electronics otherwise. And no trace of special smoke... though we did smell a bit of cooked electronics when it first blew. I'm going to comprehensively go through all the testing that David Billington did... super-useful to see all those numbers to check.

Moderator edit: New thread created from this.

mgorbet

Joined Sep 28, 2008
FYI this is confusing now because I was referencing the previous discussion between
David Billington and user ptofit from this thread ... But moderators called that 'hijacking'. I hope those two users still get tagged so they might be aware of and respond to this new thread about the same issue.

@david, FYI I am also in Canada.

mgorbet

Joined Sep 28, 2008
I was able to remove both fuses from my boards, and they are both labelled as 15A 250V (AC) Ceramic slow-blow fuses.

After much searching, replacements from Digikey seem to be this part, in case anyone else stumbles on this.

This is for a LG WM2301HW front-load washer, ca. 2010. One fuse in the inline noise filter, one on the main board.

mgorbet

Joined Sep 28, 2008
Whelp. Replaced the fuses in both the filter and the main board, gave it power (without the motor connector plugged in, in case it was the motor controller causing the problem)... no power.... a few seconds later, smelling burning seeing faint smoke from power resistor (bottom of photo shared in other thread). Fuses didn't blow but clearly just from giving it juice there is a serious issue with the mother board... I don't know how to tell if it's another one of the components (pump, heater, etc.) except that none of them should have been on, relays were not stuck, no shorts to ground anywhere... so I'm thinking it was a problem with the board itself. There's a cheap one on ebay so I will try that. Otherwise, the entire machine is toast because they no longer sell this board. I am just afraid that if I replace the board I will smoke it also. :(