Help to identify a component

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
It is labelled C5 on the PCB as well, confirming it is a capacitor.
Why it would blow is strange, unless someone tried to power the device with an external power supply of some sort, that had too much voltage. If so, then there may be other components blown as well. Or, it may have simply been a manufacturing defect with that one capacitor...

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Post a sharp closeup photo of the solder side of the board. We might be able to reverse engineer the board.

If you think the component is bad, remove it from the board and measure its resistance. Try the board without the component.

seanstevens

Joined Sep 22, 2009
Why it would blow is strange, unless someone tried to power the device with an external power supply of some sort, that had too much voltage. If so, then there may be other components blown as well. Or, it may have simply been a manufacturing defect with that one capacitor...
I agree with @sagor however, caps are generally 50V or 100V or higher, this looks like a lower voltage (50V) one but something a lot higher than that is needed to punch a hole in the cap.

Rihie302302

Joined Aug 29, 2022
I have added pictures of the front and back of the board… the problem is if you use the connection that I’ve circled in red to connect the battery as you should it doesn’t work at all but if you connect the positive there and connect the negative to any other negative on the board it works.

Yes it is possible that someone in the past has tried to power it using an external power supply and damaged it with too much power but the fact it works if you short cut the negative anywhere else tells me this is a real possibility.

Attachments

Rihie302302

Joined Aug 29, 2022
I have added pictures of the front and back of the board… the problem is if you use the connection that I’ve circled in red to connect the battery as you should it doesn’t work at all but if you connect the positive there and connect the negative to any other negative on the board it works.

Yes it is possible that someone in the past has tried to power it using an external power supply and damaged it with too much power but the fact it works if you short cut the negative anywhere else tells me this is a real possibility.
I know I said if you connect the negative anywhere else it works but this doesn’t fully solve the problem because the tape deck doesn’t play at the right speed.