Help to convert car robot

Whatashame

Joined Nov 30, 2015
I have a robot 3volt car that goes when the lights go out. It stops running when the lights turn on. I would like to make it operate by sound. The problem with sound is you have to keep the sound constantly beeping or screening, so, so forth. You know the question that's coming, yes, how to make it keep going after first sound is detected, and how to make it stop on following sound. Simply, a beep makes it go, a second beep tells it to stop. Parts I have are: LM393 IC , two 3 volt motors, 2 transistors, PNP 5880. Plus have a sound shield the I made to easily accept other sensors. Do not want to us a Arduino programmable PCB. Can you help?

Whatashame

Joined Nov 30, 2015
This is for anyone to read about my 3v. robot car experiment. Something I do now on pcbs is solder little female jacks were the tricky electronic parts go so I don't burn them out. They then become interchangeable in case they are defective. Or you can try other parts as a learning tool like a breadboard. I just solder the inexpensive parts that I have plenty of. The car came as a kit. I installed a 3 pin female jack that I use for small shieds , maybe flame detector, sound, light, or touch shield. I removed one of the light sensors (that came on the board ), installed a female plug, and hooked the output terminal from the sound shield to one of the removed light sensors terminal. Other terminal does nothing now. You will have to try it to figure out which term... to use. So now the car moves either when the lights go (0) out or when sound goes to (1). I have to learn out to make a flip/flop thing so the car keeps going even when there is no sound. That's it so far. Thanks again for your help. Anything else, please add.

Whatashame

Joined Nov 30, 2015
I have been reading about flip/flop stuff on this AAC site, but it's over my head. If anyone could just tell me what parts to start with , that would be a great start for my car project. I'm almost sure a 555 IC chip is atleast one part that I need. If you can help some more, thanks. Be kind, I'm new.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Yes, a 555 timer can be wired as a flip flop. Push button to start, push to stop.

Now, you need to google 555 flip flop.

Then you need some type of sound amplifier that can trigger the 555.

Whatashame

Joined Nov 30, 2015
Thanks GopherT. Yes, this time on Google it took me right to a schematic that I have been searching for. Before there was to many to chose from. What I have is a sound shield, 3 terminals, Vcc, Gnd & output. Seems to operate on 3v even though it's a 5volt device. Whether it also amplifies the signal, I don't know. I guess I will need second sound shield since the schematic has two switches. Well 1 step a a time for me. Have a great Christmas or Holiday.

Whatashame

Joined Nov 30, 2015
Yes, a 555 timer can be wired as a flip flop. Push button to start, push to stop.

Now, you need to google 555 flip flop.

Then you need some type of sound amplifier that can trigger the 555.
What type of sound amp? I this somethingyou buy or to build. More than one part? I need help because I can't figure it out yet. Help, I'm falling n i can't get up.

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
The car itself makes sounds? The motor and gearing?

It's going to trigger itself. Hard to isolate the internal and external sounds, especially when the microphone is right there on the car?

Whatashame

Joined Nov 30, 2015
The car itself makes sounds? The motor and gearing?

It's going to trigger itself. Hard to isolate the internal and external sounds, especially when the microphone is right there on the car?
Well your right about that. I'm really trying to learn how a non- continues - ess (like a beep) sound can lock something on until another sound or beep shuts it off. The sound sensor isn't even strong enough to trip a relay let alone have the relay locked on.