Help!! Speaker Volume Low

Lauren Marie Widdowson

Joined Nov 28, 2017
Hi All,

This is my first post to the forum.

I have a speaker connected to a circuit board and then to an iPad. The audio is playing through the speakers but at a really low volume.

The speaker is a Euro Tec 4 ohms RMS 30W.

On the blue switch (1-8) 1 and 2 must be in the down position for the speaker to have any power/ signal. The other 6 it seems to make no difference on position.

I have turned up the Sound Volume and In-line Volume to max but it makes no difference.

Please see images. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Welcome to allaboutcircuits.com!

We can't tell much about the circuit board from the picture. What do the specifications say about power output and the type of speaker it is supposed to drive?

It might help to tell us the name of the board's manufacturer and the part number as well.

Lauren Marie Widdowson

Joined Nov 28, 2017
Hi

The board is generic and has no manufacturer information on it at all unfortunately.

The speaker is 40 ohms RMS 30W and the power supply is Input: 100-24ov 50/60hz 1.5A Output: 12.0 v - 5.0V.

Kind regards

Lauren

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Welcome.
Measure.
Power supply first when 'working'; 12VDC , See no '5V' input.
measure the audio inputted to the board, hopefully around 1VAC.
Is there a manual for it ? What is 'SW out' for ? ... subwoofer ? Using that SW terminals for the speaker, is there a decent volume ?

Is there another companion unit for stereo ? Have you checked the audio input cable ? Cable is stereo, the amplifier is feeding a single speaker.

Is there 5V at any pin of U2, U4 ? Is any component hot, like the yellow square ? Is it for a musical intrument ? How long ago did it work ?

Lauren Marie Widdowson

Joined Nov 28, 2017
Hi Sorry you'll have to excuse my ignorance here a little.

It appears to be 12VDC.

There is no manual. I 'inhertied' this set up from a customer who wants to utilise the speaker in a podium for an event and play through an iPad.

I assumed the SW was subwoofer and tried the speaker cables in there - no sound whatsoever.

The speak is on and I can hear the 'noise' from it clearly but when I actually play something through it, the volume is very very low.

The Aux out from the board is stereo and runs to terminals at the back of the board for the left and right phono connections (in which I have a 2 x phono to stereo aux cable running to the iPad).

Nothing appears to be getting hot. One LED on the board flashes steady.

It was originally used for a 'push the button' game. I'm not sure the last time it was used.

DbLoud120

Joined May 26, 2014
I noticed that the amplifier board has two potentiometers in the upper right corner. One is labeled Sound Volume and one is Line-In Volume. Have you tried adjusting either of these?

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
The Aux out from the board is stereo and runs to terminals at the back of the board for the left and right phono connections (in which I have a 2 x phono to stereo aux cable running to the iPad).
If you are connecting the ipod to the AUX out of the board, that is you problem. You want to connect it to the AUX or LINE in.

Bob

R.E.

Joined Jul 29, 2017
It looks to me that Conn1 in the upper right is the audio input, can we get a picture of the silkscreened print at that connector?
Its a mono amp so you can set the output of your iOS device to mono out.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Again, I have used my picture enhancerizer that I developed for CSI-Miami and found the little daughter board is a sound recording module. Contains a WT588 chip and the modules are sold for Arduino fun and games.

https://laborjag.com/venta/arduino/wt588d-16p-8m-voice-sound-module/

I do not believe your customer's board is able to drive more than the specified 8-ohm 0.5-W speaker it is specified to drive.

But a receiver from a pawn shop and throw this thing in the rainy day box.

Here is how the text on the chip appears once I process with the enhancerizer...

0DDD66E8-A3AC-4E3E-9A6B-BB125B0FDF7E.jpeg

Last edited: