Help plugging old oscilloscope

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
I have a big, heavy 32" Philips CRT Television in my basement that makes a similar noise when I turn it on. A big Gjoink - when powered up. It startles everyone in the room every time it happens. I thought it would crap out in the first week I had it but it has managed to startle people for nearly 15 years!
My first CTV was a Philips G6 hybrid - 400W no less!

burricios69

Joined Dec 14, 2014
Hi! I finally got the wall plug and its now on the oscope. However, the signal appears inclinated, and although i've read that it needs to be calibrated, i dont know how to do it for this particular oscilloscope. its an TELEQUIPMENT D61a.
Thanks in advance!

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Hi! I finally got the wall plug and its now on the oscope. However, the signal appears inclinated, and although i've read that it needs to be calibrated, i dont know how to do it for this particular oscilloscope. its an TELEQUIPMENT D61a.
Thanks in advance!
AFAIK; those scopes were popular in tech colleges, there could well be service manuals and cal procedures floating about on the web.

You could probably buy a pretty nifty USB scope for what a professional calibration firm would charge.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
Thanks in advance!
How far is the trace off horizontal? In my old Telequipment scope I remember there being a plug and a pot to set the trace to be exactly horizontal. If the pot changes the angle the wrong direction, you disconnect the plug, rotate it on half turn and plug it back on. I don't think this will effect the rest of the calibration of the scope.

I can look at my manual later for more details...

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
How far is the trace off horizontal? In my old Telequipment scope I remember there being a plug and a pot to set the trace to be exactly horizontal. If the pot changes the angle the wrong direction, you disconnect the plug, rotate it on half turn and plug it back on. I don't think this will effect the rest of the calibration of the scope.

I can look at my manual later for more details...
There's usually a tilt preset somewhere among the front panel controls, it should be recessed like the astig preset etc.

On some very old scopes, you may have to slacken the clamps and physically rotate the CRT.

Just in case you need to know - a purely electronic tilt control is not much more than a coil of wire slipped onto the end of the tube neck. In old CRT PC monitors that had this adjustment; the drive circuit was either a full-bridge, or half bridge driving against a resistive voltage divider across a suitable supply rail.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
There's usually a tilt preset somewhere among the front panel controls, it should be recessed like the astig preset etc.

On some very old scopes, you may have to slacken the clamps and physically rotate the CRT.

Just in case you need to know - a purely electronic tilt control is not much more than a coil of wire slipped onto the end of the tube neck. In old CRT PC monitors that had this adjustment; the drive circuit was either a full-bridge, or half bridge driving against a resistive voltage divider across a suitable supply rail.
Good points. I looked at a picture of the D61 and it looks like it has a round CRT and no rotation control on the front panel. I think the CRT will have to be rotated to make the trace horizontal. :(

burricios69

Joined Dec 14, 2014
When you say rotate the CRT, what exactly is the CRT i have to rotate?:confused: According to the manual, it is in the back part os the oscope, but i'm not sure if I know what it is. Is it the "voltage selector" circle? Here u have a picture:

Thanks again!

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
When you say rotate the CRT, what exactly is the CRT i have to rotate?:confused: According to the manual, it is in the back part os the oscope, but i'm not sure if I know what it is. Is it the "voltage selector" circle? Here u have a picture:
Thanks again!
The big glass bit with the picture on the end.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
There are some adjustments to rotate the trace.

1) Some scopes have a ROTATE pot to adjust.

2) Most scopes are affected by the earth's magnetic field. Rotate the entire scope (i.e. still with bottom on the bench) and see how much effect this has.

3) What ian is referring to, I think, is to open the chassis, loosen the clamp that supports the neck of the CRT and rotate the physical glass tube.