Help pls motherboard

Kaaoszx

Joined May 25, 2006
Hello my floppy drive tore off a single chip from my motherboard. it is very small i think its a chip cap but has no rating printed on the top might be something else. its a single color tanish brownish and the one next to it had a rating of 730 on my multimeter when reading the resistance so im not sure if its a resistor or capacitor its square in shape and very very small. how would i go about fixing this?

dar2525

Joined Jun 17, 2005
I believbe you ripped off a surface mount resistor or capacitor. These are very small like a rectangle and the ends can be solder to a PCB. The main question is, does the computer still work?

you can try soldering another surface mount resistor or capacitor the board.

Normally when put the ohmeter across the chip (capacitor or resistor) the meter will show the resistance if the chip is a resitor. If you put the ohmeter across the chip and the resistance start reducing, it is a capacitor.

Measure the capacitance of the chip. If you get nothing than it is a resistor.

windoze killa

Joined Feb 23, 2006
Originally posted by n9352527@May 26 2006, 05:28 PM
'Tanish brownish' chip is usually a capacitor.
[post=17339]Quoted post[/post]​
It is more than likely a capacitor being that colour.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. If the PC still works forget about it. It is probably just filtering for an IC.

billbehen

Joined May 10, 2006
Originally posted by windoze killa@Jun 6 2006, 10:44 PM
It is more than likely a capacitor being that colour.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. If the PC still works forget about it. It is probably just filtering for an IC.
[post=17578]Quoted post[/post]​

See if nearby ICs have similar associated parts at similar pins.