Help Needed: Suggestions for Final Project - Solid State Electronics Class

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Not sure I understand it right. It will take some more thinking to grasp the idea.
In the actual circuit it will be a potentiometer for position control of a motor at the other end. The feedback provided by the motor's potentiometer.
Got it finally! Insomnia helps sometimes. What you called "input" is Vref in my book; there goes the potentiometer's taper.
Good luck.

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
I didn’t like the textbook frequency response of the PID controls so I designed a circuit to help it react faster

standard PID
EABE9745-9708-4040-B07A-D02B0B771DBE.png

with my circuitry added
DA809F37-CFD4-4BF1-82CA-DE701F3104A3.png

the PCB design is finished. It’s all THT with large potentiometers which will be mounted on a panel and wired. I‘m letting the design sit for a week or so, I might want to add an LED and test points for attaching probes.

Last edited:

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
Just a follow up here’s my project on the test bench...

took me a couple days to work out some inversion issues but ready to present it this Wednesday.

The perfect enclosure was an recent gift from our janitor when they switched to LED Exit signs in our building.

9EFB7443-80E9-4301-A841-F0F825E724DC.jpeg

Last edited:

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
Here's the video, we presented last night... all done til next fall, I plan on taking some digital courses it will get me started in FPGA using VHDL and get me more familiarized with PIC... which I'm not sure is an improvement on the AVRs. It seems that the AVRs are faster.

From left to right:

Control, kp, ki, kd and my own little circuit I call kphi which removes phase inversion and speeds up response. The two toggle switches are for adding or removing kd and kphi for testing purposes.

I will be building a little power supply so I can directly power by AC for demonstration purposes when we resume our First Robotics club activities.

The pointer was machined on my lathe and desinged so that the pointer screws doubles as the set screw. Its attached to a motorized potentiometer for closed loop feedback. Using 7 LM358's, push pull BJTs for motor driver, running on +/- 15V draws about 240 mA peak, 40 mA typical. I added an adjustable gain stage in the summing amplifier for approximately 1-100 gain .

PID blurred.jpg

Last edited:

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
Oh that is interesting, I’ll have to work through this, it looks possible, more complicated but may be a great idea to add functionality when space is limited. Actually for something needing just PI, it might be a option. I looks like it would be difficult to adjust only one of the 3 components in use for tuning (adjusting one will affect others)

Wolframore;
congratulations on the successful completion of your project. You should be proud.

May I offer a suggestion? Put labels the adjustment potentiometers. On the video we can see you are tuning the response, but because the potentiometers are not labeled, we don't know what you are tweaking.