Help needed for creating a split data cassette cable 3.5mm jack to midi(8pin din)

Frank Dude

Joined Jun 1, 2015
Hi everyone, I am a total noob in electronics so a little help will be appreciate. I have a vintage music synthetiser, Yamaha dx21 and the only way to put back sounds in it, is with a cassette player-recorder. (I can also save the sounds to the cassette)The cable is internally interconnected in a not standard way.
The cable comes on ebay from time to time but at very expensive prices. So I want to build one. The original one has a 8 pin midi socket (male) reference 45326. At the other end of it, it's split to three jack but only two really needed.(2 plugs goes to 3,5mm mono plugs of the tape player/recorder (one goes to microphone input to save data from the synth, the other goes to earphones output, to load data from cassette player to synth).Third jack never really been used, this was back in the day when cassette recorders had remote motor control. See last image! So I need to know what cable(s) I should buy in store, and the configuration of the two 3,5 mm jacks cables if so... to the 8 pin din adaptor?Please see pics and infos included below! cable dx21.jpg
these are the infos I found about the pin set up, but nothing about the spliting wires diagram ! Thank you for helping me !!

(http://rec.music.makers.synth.narkive.com/PRr0x7qV/qx21-cassette-tape-cable)
This is how the male connector for the 8 pin din plug is laid out. The
female jack is mirror image.

4 5
1 8 3
6 7

^ make the following connections:
2=play & record rings (ground)
4=cassette play tip (recorder to synth)
5=cassette record tip (synth to recorder)
6=motor control tip
7=motor control ring

cable dx21.jpg rean-jack-connector-35mm-male-mono-plug-audio-to-solder-unit.jpg 8 din.jpg 8 din.jpg

cable dx21 ebay.JPG

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Now, just get an iPad, iPhone or any other phone that can record voice memos and play them back. Then you need a three segment Jack to plug I tot he phone. One for playback, knee for mic and one for ground. if you get a 4- segment connector, only focus in the right channel for playback (leave left channel unconnected).

Frank Dude

Joined Jun 1, 2015
It seems to me that gives all the details you need. What do think is missing?
I need to know what kind of cable or cables is needed for starting from the 8 pin din socket to SPLIT in TWO jacks 3.5mm and what are gonna be the soldering schematic to make this work! for exemple see the picture and please explain to me wich cable i need to buy, and how to split the connexion for two mono jack 3.5mm Kind regards.
2Four-Core-Cable.jpg MIDI-Wires.jpg

Frank Dude

Joined Jun 1, 2015
Now, just get an iPad, iPhone or any other phone that can record voice memos and play them back. Then you need a three segment Jack to plug I tot he phone. One for playback, knee for mic and one for ground. if you get a 4- segment connector, only focus in the right channel for playback (leave left channel unconnected).
this is chinese for me lol, i have an iphone, not sure what you want me to record with my iphone,,,,you mean a single sound or bank data sounds from speakers? Makes me think that i maybe can send a sound file via bluetooth in it!? tell me more how in the world i will conect my iphone to the (midi cassette in-out of my synthetiser?ok Now,,,for the three segment jack?? keep in mind that the only way to send sounds in my synthetiser is via the so called (8 pin midi cassette output-input) no other way. I need to know what kind of cable or cables is needed for starting from the 8 pin din socket to SPLIT in TWO jacks 3.5mm and what are gonna be the soldering schematic to make this work! for exemple see the picture and please explain to me wich cable i need to buy, and how to split the connexion for two mono jack 3.5mm Kind regards2Four-Core-Cable.jpg 2Four-Core-Cable.jpg MIDI-Wires.jpg

Marley

Joined Apr 4, 2016
As your 3.5 jacks are only mono (body and tip only), you need some single-core screened or screened twisted-pair cable

You will have to get two of these cables through the cover of the DIN plug so they need to be fairly small outside diameter.
To make your finished cable compatible with modern equipment you might consider using stereo 3.5mm jacks and connecting the tip and ring together.

Ask at the place where you bought the connectors.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
this is chinese for me lol, i have an iphone, not sure what you want me to record with my iphone,,,,you mean a single sound or bank data sounds from speakers? Makes me think that i maybe can send a sound file via bluetooth in it!? tell me more how in the world i will conect my iphone to the (midi cassette in-out of my synthetiser?ok Now,,,for the three segment jack?? keep in mind that the only way to send sounds in my synthetiser is via the so called (8 pin midi cassette output-input) no other way. I need to know what kind of cable or cables is needed for starting from the 8 pin din socket to SPLIT in TWO jacks 3.5mm and what are gonna be the soldering schematic to make this work! for exemple see the picture and please explain to me wich cable i need to buy, and how to split the connexion for two mono jack 3.5mm Kind regardsView attachment 114052 View attachment 114052 View attachment 114053

Instead of using a cassette recorder, you can use any recording technology and iPhones can record and play back (if you have the correct App installed and open in record or playback mode.

Frank Dude

Joined Jun 1, 2015
Instead of using a cassette recorder, you can use any recording technology and iPhones can record and play back (if you have the correct App installed and open in record or playback mode.
can you tell me more about the soldering configution from the three segment jack to the midi plug? wich pin i will use??
This is how the male connector for the 8 pin din plug is laid out
4 5
1 8 3
6 7
^ make the following connections:
2=play & record rings (ground)
4=cassette play tip (recorder to synth)
5=cassette record tip (synth to recorder)
6=motor control tip
7=motor control ring

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Assuming the 6 and 7 pins can be ignored, you can google iPhone headphone jack pinout.

Once you have the pinout, for the four segments of a headphone jack, you should have segments for...
Ground (connect to MIDI pin 2)
Right headphone (MIDI pin 4)
Left headphone (no MIDI connection needed - do not connect)
Microphone (MIDI pin 5)

If the App has the option, set to "MONO" instead of stereo playback and record.

Use Google for the headphone jack pinout.

Frank Dude

Joined Jun 1, 2015
It seems to me that gives all the details you need. What do think is missing?
As your 3.5 jacks are only mono (body and tip only), you need some single-core screened or screened twisted-pair cable

You will have to get two of these cables through the cover of the DIN plug so they need to be fairly small outside diameter.
To make your finished cable compatible with modern equipment you might consider using stereo 3.5mm jacks and connecting the tip and ring together.

Frank Dude

Joined Jun 1, 2015
Assuming the 6 and 7 pins can be ignored, you can google iPhone headphone jack pinout.

Once you have the pinout, for the four segments of a headphone jack, you should have segments for...
Ground (connect to MIDI pin 2)
Right headphone (MIDI pin 4)
Left headphone (no MIDI connection needed - do not connect)
Microphone (MIDI pin 5)

If the App has the option, set to "MONO" instead of stereo playback and record.

Use Google for the headphone jack pinout.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
So , i only need to buy a three twisted braided cable , and a three segment jack 3,5 mm and it will be ok?
You may want a 4 segment to match your phone, I'm not sure how well phones deal with 3-segment connectors.

Yes, you only need 3-conductor wire. Don't buy solid copper, you want something flexible.