[HELP]Logic Gates Application

francesmardc

Joined Mar 6, 2014
Hello,

I am having a difficulties on what project should i create using Logic Gates, Led, Resistors, buttons, switches ONLY. im needing of a simple project just like the traffic light application. can anyone have an idea what should i make just a simple one.

p.s. im thinking of a game show buttons or buzzer game. that only one LED should lit on at any given time. only need 2 buzzer/buttons just like the quiz game on shows. and i saw alot of that on the web but it requires a 555 timer and my prof. wont allow us to use 555 timer. so please anyone have an idea on how to make it without 555 chip? please show a diagram.

Thanks in advance.

francesmardc

Joined Mar 6, 2014
Who said anything of the sort? :)

A few LEDs arranged in a "H" pattern is all you need for display...
can you please elaborate further? cuz im really newbie about this things.

if you cant use a 555, why not use a couple of gates as an oscilator? or a dual one shot chip?
what is the equivalent of 555 timer on a basic gates? as i said im newbie and im not sure what im saying lol

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
A dice uses a pattern of seven dots. Use seven LEDs to represent the dots.

You can build an oscillator using a single inverting schmitt trigger or using three inverters.

francesmardc

Joined Mar 6, 2014
A dice uses a pattern of seven dots. Use seven LEDs to represent the dots.

You can build an oscillator using a single inverting schmitt trigger or using three inverters.
any diagram? :) upon searching the net i saw alot but it uses some timers and others that which we are not allowed to use.

Like This:

This allows you to represent all possible combinations of a dice roll with the seven LEDs MrChips was referring to.
so how does it work? randoming numbers 1-7?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Ok, so one thing we know is that you can't use 555, timers or others.

What logic gates CAN you use? Are flip-flops allowed? How about counters? If we knew what gates you CAN use, it'd eliminate suggestions less than useful.

francesmardc

Joined Mar 6, 2014
Does, "we" mean your school class?
definitely no, its just that im not into this electronics things, ofcourse theres this subject on my course, im taking up computer science btw. but upon searching the net ive came up with this forum and here i am asking for a help.

Ok, so one thing we know is that you can't use 555, timers or others.

What logic gates CAN you use? Are flip-flops allowed? How about counters? If we knew what gates you CAN use, it'd eliminate suggestions less than useful.
we are only allowed to use 7400, 7402, 74ls32, 7408, 7404 or the ic for basic logic gates.. CAN'T use flip flops. CAN'T use counter.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Doesn't leave you with much to work with.

How about a digital combination lock? Set the correct combination and press a button to unlock.

francesmardc

Joined Mar 6, 2014
Doesn't leave you with much to work with.

How about a digital combination lock? Set the correct combination and press a button to unlock.
yea to much to work with :( because we are only allowed to use limited things.

that could be another id love to have. any logic?

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
definitely no, its just that im not into this electronics things, ofcourse theres this subject on my course, im taking up computer science btw. but upon searching the net ive came up with this forum and here i am asking for a help.

we are only allowed to use 7400, 7402, 74ls32, 7408, 7404 or the ic for basic logic gates.. CAN'T use flip flops. CAN'T use counter.
makes totally sense- we are only allowed to use ......

I'd tell the instructor "This does not make sense".

Indeed you can't do so much with just a few these chips.

Besides you could build a flip flop from logic gates as well.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
you can make a ring oscillator from NOT gates- 3 or 5 or more. 47uF to 220 uF and LEDs.

I don't have a schematic but it's not too hard to breadboard.

francesmardc

Joined Mar 6, 2014
makes totally sense- we are only allowed to use ......

I'd tell the instructor "This does not make sense".

Indeed you can't do so much with just a few these chips.

Besides you could build a flip flop from logic gates as well.
i know that feel :( i just need a simple one project that have a purpose..he gave us example like a simple traffic light.

anyway im thinking of thi:

i have a 6 input, let 1,2,3,4,5,6
example displaying 1 and 2 on the "H" pattern digital dice
1 = 1
2 = 0
3 = 0
4 = 0
5 = 0
6 = 0

then the out put for the leds, let leds be a,b,c,d,e,f,g
the only led that will lit on is letter "d" same like the dice
a-------e