Help in surge immunity compliance

dineshkakubal

Joined Aug 18, 2020
Hi,

I have a tension controller board, for which power supply is given using "1757242" connector.
The supply voltage is 24V, current is around 10A.
I want to add a TVS diode for the input to comply with EN-61000-6-2:2005. (Presently it is failing the test)
I am planning to add a TVS diode at the input to gnd. Is that the correct method?
And what is the diode i have to select?

Thanks,
Dinesh KS

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
I want to add a TVS diode for the input to comply with EN-61000-6-2:2005. (Presently it is failing the test)
hello there
:) Electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) - Part 6-2: Generic standards - Immunity for industrial environments.
No test is given so there's nothing to fail.
You either pass the acceptance test or you do not. I do too much aerospace DO 19 acceptance testing.
TVS diode added to your circuit no problemo. I need to see a schematic. Pleeease. :)

Last edited:

Hymie

Joined Mar 30, 2018
You don’t specify whether you are talking about the AC or DC power ports – either way the TVS diodes (or other voltage clamping components) should have a breakdown voltage well above normal operating voltages.

Besides placing the TVS diodes to ground, you may need one fitted between supply lines.

In a 230Vac mains powered product, a typical varistor between supply lines and earth might have a continuous rating of 300Vac, with a breakdown voltage exceeding 600V – nonetheless such components will provide surge immunity protection.

TVS diodes have a much faster response than varistors.

dineshkakubal

Joined Aug 18, 2020
hello there
:) Electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) - Part 6-2: Generic standards - Immunity for industrial environments.
No test is given so there's nothing to fail.
You either pass the acceptance test or you do not. I do too much aerospace DO 19 acceptance testing.
TVS diode added to your circuit no problemo. I need to see a schematic. Pleeease. :)
Here is the schematic part:
1598365174577.png
Only reverse polarity protection is present.
Thanks,
Dinesh kS

dineshkakubal

Joined Aug 18, 2020
You don’t specify whether you are talking about the AC or DC power ports – either way the TVS diodes (or other voltage clamping components) should have a breakdown voltage well above normal operating voltages.

Besides placing the TVS diodes to ground, you may need one fitted between supply lines.

In a 230Vac mains powered product, a typical varistor between supply lines and earth might have a continuous rating of 300Vac, with a breakdown voltage exceeding 600V – nonetheless such components will provide surge immunity protection.

TVS diodes have a much faster response than varistors.
Hi,
It is DC power.
Presently i am planning to use "CPDQC3V3A-HF" diode. Will this work for the purpose?
Please guide me.

Thanks,
Dinesh KS

Hymie

Joined Mar 30, 2018
The proposed diode has a breakdown voltage of less than 4V, I suggest a CPDQR24V-HF diode which has a breakdown voltage of 28V.