Help in recognizing a component

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
welcome to AAC.

Unfortunately, that's the part of the photo not in focus but it looks like the remnants of a high current diode that was once in a ceramic package. Similar to these:

1650406106001.png

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
Agree it was likely a diode. It may have been for reverse polarity protection since it is located next to the fuses.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Certainly the component used to be a diode. For help with determining a suitable replacement we will need to see the portion of the circuit that contains that diode.

Chumbera

Joined Apr 19, 2022
Thanks a lot guys! Definitely seems like a diode, any way for me to known what size of diode it is?

The device is a 12v to 220v inverter capable of 700w.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
As others have said, it's a diode of some kind. By "Some Kind" I mean it could be a number of different types of diodes. I think @Yaakov is right - probably a power diode.

BEFORE YOU REPLACE IT - it's important to know why it blew. It's also likely that other components have also blown out. It could be a failure caused by the diode - it could be the result of another failure somewhere on the board that blew out the diode.

A few years ago I had an Uninteruptable Power Supply (UPS) for my computer. The battery had reached the end of its life so it needed replacing. Simple enough. But I just had to probe some of the circuitry with my meter. BANG! Something popped! It was one of the inverter MOSFET's that had blown out just because I might have touched something by accident. I tried fixing it but as soon as I replaced the MOSFET and powered it up - BANG! The new MOSFET blew. It's now sitting in my scrap pile.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Measure the diameter of the leads from the diode body to the PCB. They are somewhat proportional to the current that has to be handled. Assume 700-1000V for an 220vAC inverter.