help in project:communication of microcontroller and personal computer

shankbond

Joined Nov 4, 2007
hi,
I need some help; I am telling you the scene:

1) presently there are 8 microcontrollers;such that they get there inputs from a sensor, these inputs after manipulation shown in decimal numbers on seven segment display,also they are sent to a personal computer; the personal computer can also send data to those microcontrollers(but can be once in a day)

2)I want the microcontrollers to be connected to a parallel port(suggest if other option available);also the paralle port also has to simultaneously output(to a seven segment display again, but this one is different) as well as (read)input from these microcontrollers.

3)these inputs will be saved in the personal computer in SQL Server,(suggest if other option is available).

4)the microcontrollers will be at different distances far(for example one can be 1 meter other can be a few inches the third one can be 10 meters far),will there be any delays?

5)in future, there can be more microcontrollers.

6)tell me some device which can amplify the microcontroller signals and microprocessor(level convertor ? )

friends any help regarding this project will be appreciated.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
1 & 2. Have you looked into the USB port? It might be much easier to get multiple uC's to communicate with a computer via USB.

3. No idea about the data, but why not a set of arrays?

4. The information can only travel at the spped of light in the wiring - what is significant about delays?

5. Up to 127 devices with USB.

6. Tell us why the signals will need amplification.

shankbond

Joined Nov 4, 2007
first of all i am uploading a picture regarding the project i m telling u, which is diagramatical view.

as for the amplification is concerned, the project will be deployed in an environment comprising of heavy machinery, so i am worried about electro magnetic radiations affecting the data.

regards

Last edited:

shankbond

Joined Nov 4, 2007
I am not sure (and i believe that signals from all the microcontrollers will be generated randomly); so USB(Universal Serial Bus)will i have to do multiplexing without any knowledge of the expected time of data?

or are you trying to tell some thing new about USB(is it possible to connect multiple devices using single USB port, by some special device?)
please explain in detail; I am unaware of it.....

thanx

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
One uC to a sensor sounds like more than you need. Is there some reason why the sensors can't be read by a single uC? Sensors have been used in industrial settings for some time now.

What do the sensors measure? Can you obtain them that have an interface built in, like I2C? Each device on the chain will have an address, so each sensor can be distinguished.

As far as the USB I/F goes, each input will have a number assigned to it, so keeping inputs properly sorted is not a problem.

Do the sensors have to output at fixed times, or can they be polled?

shankbond

Joined Nov 4, 2007
One uC to a sensor sounds like more than you need. Is there some reason why the sensors can't be read by a single uC? Sensors have been used in industrial settings for some time now.
the sensors will be located far enough so i suppose there shud be a seperate sensor for each of them;moreover, if accidently some microcontroller goes down then only one sensor fails where as in your case whole system goes down.

What do the sensors measure? Can you obtain them that have an interface built in, like I2C? Each device on the chain will have an address, so each sensor can be distinguished.
sorry,i din't got your point, sensors are only meant to check whether an object crossed a specific location in conveyor belt.

As far as the USB I/F goes, each input will have a number assigned to it, so keeping inputs properly sorted is not a problem.
Do the sensors have to output at fixed times, or can they be polled?
can you please give me some link, which shows the schematics of connecting USB port to several devices? or explain a little;because i will also then have to look for the USB interfacing methods in C# .net(platform)

as far as the output through microcontrollers is concerned; they will generate outputs (asynchronously) randomly,ther can also be two inputs at the same time .

i m showing you the pictorial representation of the plan(idea i am trying to tell you people)

Attachments