Help identifying resistor

gtro127

Joined Jan 19, 2016
Need help identifying this 5 band resistor. What threw me is the silver middle band which I can't find any charts that has silver as center band. BTW it is not Gray-definitely silver. Thanks for any response.IMG_9811.JPG

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I concur - except the red band is likely 50 ppm temp coefficient.

How are you getting that since the diagram you are referencing only has a tempco band if the resistor has six bands.

I know the TS is saying that the middle band is silver and not gray, but I've had resistors that looked like silver but turned out to be grey.

Assuming it IS grey, then that would make it a 15.8 Ω, 2% resistor. This is a standard E96 and E192 value.

I'm not aware of any coding scheme that would have silver as the middle of five bands.

(EDIT: I mentally converted the blue band to green -- I should have gotten 16.8 Ω).

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Resistor is open. Has crack on end which does not show in pic.
Have you tried tracking down the schematic or talking to the manufacturer? A Google search of the model information may turn up something useful. You might also find a forum for that brand and get some help that way.

gtro127

Joined Jan 19, 2016
How are you getting that since the diagram you are referencing only has a tempco band if the resistor has six bands.

I know the TS is saying that the middle band is silver and not gray, but I've had resistors that looked like silver but turned out to be grey.

Assuming it IS grey, then that would make it a 15.8 Ω, 2% resistor. This is a standard E96 and E192 value.

I'm not aware of any coding scheme that would have silver as the middle of five bands.
It's open-has crack only visable with magnifier. Thanks everyone for replys.

gtro127

Joined Jan 19, 2016
Have you tried tracking down the schematic or talking to the manufacturer? A Google search of the model information may turn up something useful. You might also find a forum for that brand and get some help that way.
It's a playstation 4 power supply. ADP-200er are numbers from supply. I did google search with no hits on schematics.

Marcus2012

Joined Feb 22, 2015
16.8 Ohm 2% is what my money's on. I agree with WBahn in post 12, I've seen a few silvery greys and as far as I know gold and silver are exclusively for tolerance and multipliers. Might of just been a cheap way to save on paint to mark it as greyish as silver isn't used in that band.

OR similar to #12s value it could be 0.016 ohms and use 2 multiplier bands? anyone seen this before?

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Duh -- When I switched over to the tables I had in my mind brown-green-grey. Yes, brown-blue-grey would be 16.8 Ω, but 168 is not in the standard sequences. 169 is, which would make that band white. I've seen some silver/grey looking white bands in my time, but that one is a pretty large stretch.

The good news is that it should be the least significant value band and so it shouldn't matter too much what it is, particularly with a 2% tolerance.

gtro127

Joined Jan 19, 2016
The value previously suggested is probably right - but if the old one is blown open, something caused that.

You need to find out what failed short circuit.
Unfortunately roach feces was across to pins in secondary. Hoping it had just loaded down circuit to make resistor blow. Haven't found any obvious shorts. Hate to say it but every PS4 power supply I've worked on has had roaches in it. I usually order new supply's but this version is pricey and sells out quick when on ebay.

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
Silver in the third band is a multiplier of 0.01 which I believe makes #12 right. Gold would be the other choice in that area and would represent a multiplier of 0.1

Last edited: