Help Identifying Part - Burned Resistor

Brewtrooper

Joined May 28, 2015
I have a burned resistor and I'm hoping that someone with more experience than me can identify it. I'm trying to fix a strobe light for my daughter. I've attached pictures. I'm guessing it is a 10 or 100 ohm 10W resistor. Many thanks to anyone willing to lend a hand here. :)

Brewtrooper.

Attachments

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Can't read the color codes. Size looks like 2W to me; 3W if it's a "miniature" form factor.

From Yaego:
1674615364927.png

What makes you think it's bad?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
My guess is that it's white-white-silver-silver. But white-white (99) isn't a standard value, so that's probably wrong.

It doesn't look burned, but it does look like it gets hot enough to discolor the PCB underneath it.

Brewtrooper

Joined May 28, 2015
How do you know that the resistor is burnt?
Thanks for the response. I know it is "burnt" because it is swelled and cracked, and is open i.e. infinite ohms. There's also a pretty good char mark underneath where is it mounted on both sides of the circuit board. "Burnt" is my technical term. :)

Brewtrooper

Joined May 28, 2015
My guess is that it's white-white-silver-silver. But white-white (99) isn't a standard value, so that's probably wrong.

It doesn't look burned, but it does look like it gets hot enough to discolor the PCB underneath it.
Thank you very much for the reply. It is open, so I know it's bad. There is also a crack in it. I've assumed that it overheated and opened. My daughter left it on for a few days in our basement, so I'm assuming it just overheated over a longer than designed duty cycle.

Brewtrooper

Joined May 28, 2015
Can't read the color codes. Size looks like 2W to me; 3W if it's a "miniature" form factor.

From Yaego:
View attachment 285986

What makes you think it's bad?
Thank you very much for the reply and information. Much appreciated. I tested it in circuit and it is open. I'm thinking of just putting in a large resistor and seeing if it brings it back to life enough to see it working, and keep trying smaller values until it works.

If you other suggestions, I'm all ears/eyes.

Thanks again. I really appreciate your reply and trying to help!

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I'm thinking of just putting in a large resistor and seeing if it brings it back to life enough to see it working, and keep trying smaller values until it works.
It's a small value resistor. Read the color bands for us. I read 'something - white - gold - silver'. With a gold (0.1) multiplier, it's not going to be very large.

The only color that could be in the first position is orange, but it doesn't look orange to me.

Last edited: