Help identifying an old capacitor

Majcd213

Joined Feb 6, 2017
Hi everyone. Apologies for posting yet another in what I see is a nu Ber of similar questions but I am stumped and I can't find the answer in the tables referenced.
I am repairing an old automotive timing gun/stroboscope. This contains a fairly meaty capacitor about 2x1x0.3 cms in size. Its helpfully marked 2 microfarad but I measure it now as barely 0.5. Its only other markings are the single letter "M" on its own and the number 3Y03. I'm guessing this somehow relates to V but can't find a key with either a Y or an M in it.
All help appreciated
Many thanks
Mike

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Hi everyone. Apologies for posting yet another in what I see is a nu Ber of similar questions but I am stumped and I can't find the answer in the tables referenced.
I am repairing an old automotive timing gun/stroboscope. This contains a fairly meaty capacitor about 2x1x0.3 cms in size. Its helpfully marked 2 microfarad but I measure it now as barely 0.5. Its only other markings are the single letter "M" on its own and the number 3Y03. I'm guessing this somehow relates to V but can't find a key with either a Y or an M in it.
All help appreciated
Many thanks
Mike
Browse through some catalogs until you see similar capacitors.

JUNELER

Joined Jul 13, 2015
HI,
Can you give a shot pictures. If it was very small it will not 2uf but nano farad.
other m3yo3 ,My guess is Month 3 year 2003. usually a small capacitor is used for bypass high frequency
or any feeback signal to a circuit.

Majcd213

Joined Feb 6, 2017
Thanks guys./gals. I have found similar looking capacitors but O suspect this one is going to discharge through the tube and do might need to be a high voltage? The strobe dates from the 70s and I doubt any components have been changed since. It all looks neat and tidy in there. Trying to upliad picture but in case it doesnt work its just a yellow of dimensions as above14863856501751457340826.jpg

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
All help appreciated
Many thanks
Mike
About 2uF 400V is fairly typical - ITT used to make pulse capacitors suitable for this purpose, they're the oblong buff coloured ones, the type class may have been MKT - but there are so many type classes and my memory is not as good as it was.

Gradual loss of capacitance isn't a huge surprise in a capacitor discharge system.