Help identifying a resistor

pllasma

Joined Jul 1, 2015
Hello all..

I'm trying to identify a resistor, I kinda understand the color coding by this one is throwing me off a bit.

Please view the attached photo. There appears to be red black red black lines.

Thanks for any help..

Attachments

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
they look like something between black, brown and red. It is really hard to guess from a photo. Also, have you tried measuring them?

pllasma

Joined Jul 1, 2015
They are still attached to the board. I measured each one separately. Not sure if that answers your question. I'm not really the best a voltmeters

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
The board looks like there are allways two connected in parallel. Try checking resistance between same ends and see what is connected to what. Or just desolder one end and measure resistance directly.
My guess would be they are 2.1k but who knows.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
Red, brown, red for the value and brown for the tolerance. I said probably because the reds are barely more red than brown. As the red color oxidized and thermally decomposed, it bled into the surrounding ceramic coating. The brown stripes are still fairly crisp. Everything wants to turn to dirt but if it's already brown, no change is obvious. :rolleyes:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
My guess is 2.1K 5% for the 2 resistors on the left (red brown red gold); 1% would have another band.

Can't make out the two on the right because there's a shadow from the wires.

Note that the tolerance band on the resistor second from the right is on the bottom while the others are on the top.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
1% would have another band.
Not necessarily. Only if needed for more significant digits in the value; 2.05k or 2.13k for example. Values that end in a zero such as 2.10k are unique in that they can be represented with fewer stripes as the last (precision) digit is rolled into the multiplier.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I stand corrected. As 2.1K isn't a standard 5% value, it must be 1%. That sucks; another exception to make things more difficult than they need to be...

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
1.18 K-ohms is what I'm reading
They look heat discoloured, so measurement may be your only hope - but if you measure them in situ; you are also measuring the parallel influence of various other circuit components. You can get a false low in situ that doesn't tell you anything useful - if you could identify the colour codes and then got higher readings than you should, you'd know they were faulty.

Unless the design specifically requires that type of resistor, I'd identify the watts rating as well as the resistance and replace them with vitreous wire-wound - expensive, but they handle heat a lot better.

There's some signs of heat discoloration on the PCB as well - those small electrolytics are awfully close, and they don't like heat even more than resistors.