Help ide

Ryanswift21

Joined Nov 23, 2022
Hello All,

Looking to tap into the wealth of knowledge in this forum. I work as a Fire & Security Engineer so have some electronics knowledge. I was cleaning my Van yesterday and found this under my seat.

8BED4B13-7A42-4609-ACA0-79C43A2BBE77.png1E8352C7-01A1-4C4B-AC08-640D996BF003.png1829FDF6-7C70-43AB-B8A3-E075A7B0CF5D.png
Never seen it before and no idea how it got there. It’s looks like a mini microphone. I pulled the positive off it and checked the voltage on the battery. It has 1.6v across, Any help would be greatly appreciated.

sarahMCML

Joined May 11, 2019
Looks like part of a toy to me, looks like a cover to a battery.
It's the insides of an E-cigarette! The tiny silver "microphone" is a pressure sensor that detects the user sucking on the mouthpiece, and this triggers the heater inside the long thin white tube into vaporizing the liquid in the device. The big lithium cell is worth salvaging, if it is not over discharged. Sadly, this one appears to be too far gone!

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
85% chance your teenage child used the car recently.
If so,
50% chance they'll claim they don't know what it is
25% chance they'll tell you it belongs to a friend.
10% chance, they'll say it's mine.
5% chance it belongs to your spouse.
10% chance a valet driver left it there.

100% chance that @sarahMCML is right.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
It's the insides of an E-cigarette! The tiny silver "microphone" is a pressure sensor that detects the user sucking on the mouthpiece, and this triggers the heater inside the long thin white tube into vaporizing the liquid in the device. The big lithium cell is worth salvaging, if it is not over discharged. Sadly, this one appears to be too far gone!
Sure, vaping is much safer than tobacco. Just let me add this nicotine of unknown origin into this flask of propylene glycol of unknown quality. Then I'll let it absorb onto this woven tube of glass fibers - and I'll increase the amount of nicotine solution I can get near the heater by wrapping some glass wool around the tube made of woven glass - then I'll put the whole thing into a tube and suck really hard on it to get the vapor. Not sure if I get any glass wool down my lungs because the hot propylene glycol masks any feeling. Again, much safer than tobacco. Has anyone seen my bottle of "dog safe" antifreeze?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Interestingly enough, the heater for an E-cigarette could also serve as a detonator trigger for an IED. So I suggest disconnecting the battery and disposing of the materials responsibly.