Help! I need some ideas for a thesis

rayearth92188

Joined May 11, 2009
Hello!

Thank you for reading my post. Anyways, I have some problems regarding what thesis topic should I use or research on. Here are some thesis topic that I had in my mind:

low-cost microwave leakage detector
robotic reacher

If you have any ideas, I really appreciate it. Again, thank you!

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I like the Robotic Teacher. Maybe your present teacher will take the hint. I have never heard of picking a thesis topic without consultation and agreement with the advisor.

If I were limited to just those two choices, only the first is really doable.

John

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Hello!

Thank you for reading my post. Anyways, I have some problems regarding what thesis topic should I use or research on. Here are some thesis topic that I had in my mind:

low-cost microwave leakage detector
robotic reacher

If you have any ideas, I really appreciate it. Again, thank you!
Hi Ray:

As a lot of folks on here have probably gleaned by now, I'm very much a "disciple" of Paul Graham. His ideas on good design are applicable EVERYWHERE.
One of the most profound statements Paul makes about good design is that it's SUGGESTIVE. No, not in the R-rated sense. What he means is, every well-formed product or idea should suggest other new ideas BEYOND what the writer had in mind.
For this reason alone, the robotic teacher is a better topic, by CLEARLY OBJECTIVE STANDARDS! How can I say this? I assure you, this is NOT personal bias. I am a microwave engineer, not a robotics geek. A low cost microwave leakage detector would be right up my alley. But that's exactly the problem with a thesis on this. Alleys by nature are NARROW. It's hard to get NEW REVELATIONS about life by specific item like a microwave detector, no matter how effective or necessary the product.
On the other hand, Robotic Teaching is HIGHLY suggestive....it has unlimited possibilities. There are whole new industries that could be set in motion by this.

Just my humble opinion....objectively stated. :)

eric

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I wonder if the OP really meant "reacher" with an R. It is a new word for me, but might mean something like a device that senses an object, determines its distance, and is able to reach, touch/grab it.

If that is the case, then I would find it more challenging project and interesting than a project that has a goal of simply reducing the cost of something.

Also, my apologies for initially just assuming the word was misspelled. John