HELP! hand iron circuit question, looks simple

ligroy

Joined May 5, 2016
Ive had this hand iron for less than 4 months, i use it to cover RC planes and such, just the other day it bunked on me, when i plug it in, i hear a rattle as in there is a loose connection, the iron will not heat up, but crackling noise comes and goes and LED light turns on for a split second when heat actuator dial is on high, but turns right off..i opened it up and it seems like a simple circuit for anyone that knows circuitry ( not me )
here are some pictures of the circuit board,,,i can go out and purchase a new one but to fix this myself and learn a thing or two would be just awesome.
here is what the unit looks like below link..and see attached images of the board...any info on why its not working would be just super..
thanks so much all
http://www.amazon.com/Coverite-21st-Century-Trim-Sealing/dp/B000X4OLS0

2016-05-05 11.53.01.jpg
2016-05-05 11.52.54.jpg

Mods Edit:
Please compress the files size to the clear resolution as 800x600 or 1024x768, thank you.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
Nice pictures but can we have one of the back side of the board as well?
Is the iron powered by plugging it into an outlet or is there a separate low voltage power unit?

ligroy

Joined May 5, 2016
Nice pictures but can we have one of the back side of the board as well?
Is the iron powered by plugging it into an outlet or is there a separate low voltage power unit?
thank you so much for the reply.
here is the back side attached, i had to peal off the 3M double sided tape so it looks a bit messy..
and yes the power plugges right into the outlet..
thanks for your help. hope you can help me out,,,i am able to solder as i do work with electronics but not that great with circuits.
thanks

Attachments

ligroy

Joined May 5, 2016
Test the resistance of the heater on Ohms, probably around 120 ohms, also the resistance of the slider pot.
so point the + and - of the reader to the ends of each line on teh board? again im pretty much a noob,,any step by step would be so helpful lol
thanks again much

and i do this while its plugged in i assume

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
so point the + and - of the reader to the ends of each line on teh board? again im pretty much a noob,,any step by step would be so helpful lol
thanks again much

and i do this while its plugged in i assume
No.. not when plugged in..
Be VERY careful handling that when its plugged in.. In fact don't handle it at all when plugged in.. You can be exposed to mains voltages and shocked/killed..

ligroy

Joined May 5, 2016
ok when i touched the red and black wire on the slider with my ohm multimeter, it reads 13.5 and the red LED turns on

im very careful while handling this with gloves and im grounded as well..thank you for the concern :)

Attachments

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
So its a 100k ohms pot slider, you can short it out and the iron will be on full heat.

Dont measure the circuit with power on using ohms, you will damage your meter.

ligroy

Joined May 5, 2016
So its a 100k ohms pot slider, you can short it out and the iron will be on full heat.

Dont measure the circuit with power on using ohms, you will damage your meter.
by shorting it you mean just remove the slider pot and connect the + - together?
because i only use this heat iron on high temp anyways..
thanks much for your help

ligroy

Joined May 5, 2016
ok i shorted and removed the slider,,its working again,,perfect,
thanks so much for all the help...i guess potentiometer's go bad as its happened to other devices in teh past..