Help finding type of OP Amp circuit

John Di

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Hello,
Could you help me find out what type of OP circuit this is?
I believe its an inverting circuit, but what type exactly?
Thank you very much
upload_2015-2-8_17-0-8.png

Efron

Joined Oct 10, 2010
It is a voltage follower with a gain of R2/(R1+R2)
A voltage follower" with a gain" is in this case a little bit disturbing. It is a voltage follower circuit where the output voltage of the OAMP is the same as the voltage given by the resistors divider.

Efron

Joined Oct 10, 2010
Hello,
Could you help me find out what type of OP circuit this is?
I believe its an inverting circuit, but what type exactly?
Thank you very much
View attachment 80116

The advantage of this circuit is that the output voltage of the OPAMP is mostly independent from the current going through the resistors. Also, the circuit on the left is not impacted by the circuit on the right due to the high impedance of the OPAMP input leads.

Note: it IS NOT an inverter. It has negative feedback so that the circuit is stable (no oscillation). This guarantees that the two inputs of the OPAMP have the same voltage value.

John Di

Joined Jan 15, 2015
The advantage of this circuit is that the output voltage of the OPAMP is mostly independent from the current going through the resistors. Also, the circuit on the left is not impacted by the circuit on the right due to the high impedance of the OPAMP input leads.

Note: it IS NOT an inverter. It has negative feedback so that the circuit is stable (no oscillation). This guarantees that the two inputs of the OPAMP have the same voltage value.
Thanks for that, also is it a passive or active circuit, because I am having trouble distinguishing between the two. From what I read, passive circuits usually have no OP Amp but not always?

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Thanks for that, also is it a passive or active circuit, because I am having trouble distinguishing between the two. From what I read, passive circuits usually have no OP Amp but not always?
It is active. Why? Because op-amp needs external power supplies to function, these power supplies are normally not shown, but whenever you see op-amp triangle symbol, you should automatically assume that you need power supplies to power the op-amp.

Or you can approach your circuit a little differently. What you have there are actually two circuits:
1) R1 and R2 form voltage divider. This circuit is passive.
2) Op-amp is configured as buffer. X volts goes in, X volts comes out. This circuit is active because op-amp needs external power supplies.